SD discussion, obsolete by 2012?

I doubt it will. I, actually love sd over hd. Filmmaking is still a young art form, with possibilties that are limitless. So, why just go for "The latest and greatest"? One should never limit his/herself with new or old. Make it your way. There is no wrong way to doing art. Hell, our current production's dialogue, music, sound fx will be done on...wait for it...ANALOG! Which, imo, is more pristine and pure than digital will ever be. I often find digital, of any format especially hd and...ugh blue ray, take away the magic. That is just my opinion. But, I'm a nostalgic guy.

When will film be obsolete ?... My fav movie of all times was shot in SD in 2006 Inland Empire .

Good topic, but Im a fan of the art more than the technology. There are some good SD cams sitting in closets just begging to be used. I guess when MiniDv is obsolete then the clock will start ticking and the demise of SD will be near.

When will film be obsolete ?... My fav movie of all times was shot in SD in 2006 Inland Empire .

Seconded. Great film, and entirely because of the content, not the medium. Would it have been just as good HD? Absolutely. Black and white? Definitely.

The question really is will anyone bother creating SD stuff. These days you can do HD almost as easily, so why not? But things come around, so I imagine a retro SD scene will develop, thought probably not for a while.

Aren't we already in 2012?

Yes, it's effectively obsolete. Doesn't mean you can't tell a good story without it, though.

At home, I watch many movies on an SD projector. Doesn't have any effect on how much I enjoy them.

Interesting enough as we move away from large screens for viewing most our media, HD begins to become irrelevant. Also with more and more media streaming, people are watching SD or lesser resolution more frequently.

I mean, yeah there's not much happening there, but it is home to the Badlands National Park and, for better or worse, Mt. Rushmore.

Let's give 'em til 2015? If they don't improve their image by then maybe let ND take over the lease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRjDJWeypUM
this is available in HD btw.

tbh I was actually making a bit of a joke of the fact that no-one had posted in this section for a while rather than proclaiming SD dead, but glad this conversation is rolling along.
Personally I sometimes find HD a bit difficult to watch. There are instances where there is camera movement and the camera comes to rest breifly and 'POP' the detail snaps into being then goes again as the camera moves, blurring the detail. On some handheld scenes you get the details constantly popping in and out which I find rather off-putting.

I've been finding it a bit humorous people are still trying to get $1200 to $1500 for a DVX100b on my local Craigslist. From the frequency with which the ads are reposted they aren't having much success either. Whenever I see one I think to myself "Hmmmm... a dedicated video cam for event shoots would be nice, but boy, even $500 would be stretch for ANY SD cam".

SD for hobbyists and home movies... HD if you actually want to make a quality product. None of my clients want SD. I don't want SD.

Even if it has a good story... if the image quality is horrible then I'll pass.

SD for hobbyists and home movies... HD if you actually want to make a quality product. None of my clients want SD. I don't want SD.

Even if it has a good story... if the image quality is horrible then I'll pass.

Whether the average viewer would notice the difference is debatable IF it was lit very well and professional post processing was done on the footage. 28 days later is the prime example. Shot on SD video cam (XL1) with lens adapters and put through pro grade post processing. Does it look as good as film or HD (with all other things being equal), no, but nobody in the audience walked out thinking it looked "horrible".

You are right.

If you are shooting on SD then you need to be extra particular with your lighting and sound to make the experience as pleasurable as your competition who is more than likely shooting on HD.

The problem is that most serious filmmakers are shooting on HD now, which makes it more crucial for the filmmakers shooting on SD to up their game.

Whether the average viewer would notice the difference is debatable IF it was lit very well and professional post processing was done on the footage. 28 days later is the prime example. Shot on SD video cam (XL1) with lens adapters and put through pro grade post processing. Does it look as good as film or HD (with all other things being equal), no, but nobody in the audience walked out thinking it looked "horrible".

I saw someone buying it on BluRay a while ago. Had to try very hard not to laugh at them.

The future of SD

I own a DVX100B and when I bought it about 5 years ago, I felt the HD world was still ever-changing and wanted to wait to spend that extra thousand until things begin to settle. But, it seems the dust has settled and SD is getting left behind as HD becomes less expensive and the investment in an SD is just not a good investment.

Between all the HDSLR cameras and that new blackmagic camera, even entry-level filmmakers can shoot HD.

I will be selling my DVX100B if someone is still interested in an SD camera :)

I still love the look of my camera, but as a professional videographer, even clients who know nothing about cameras, they know and want HD.

On a side note: I am thinking of switching over to the Canon 5d mark II, just so tempting to get a nice still camera and HD camera in one.

Back