• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Ciné lightmeter recommendations?

I need a new lightmeter. So far, I have looked at the Sekonic L-758C and the Spectra Pro IV-A.

What would you recommend as a useful and practical lightmeter for most cine film-making applications?
Again, I'm on a budget.

For about $70 you can get an analogue meter (they cost far less than the digitals)

I have a Tundra D-3B - extra-awesome 'cos it has a cine-scale as well, to help when using various FPS.

Obviously it doesn't have any of the fancy functions of the models you listed. However, it is both useful and practical.

And cheap. :)

I need a new lightmeter. So far, I have looked at the Sekonic L-758C and the Spectra Pro IV-A.

What would you recommend as a useful and practical lightmeter for most cine film-making applications?
Again, I'm on a budget.

Big question for you..What format are you going to shoot? Video or Film. If Film then I would get a solid cine lightmeter. But if it for HDV then you should be able to get buy with your camera's own metering systems, with zebras. I shoot both HDV and Ultra16mm film. So I use my old Spectra Professional lightmeter. It is not manufacturered anymore but is reliable and doesn't need batteries.

Big question for you..What format are you going to shoot? Video or Film. If Film then I would get a solid cine lightmeter. But if it for HDV then you should be able to get buy with your camera's own metering systems, with zebras. I shoot both HDV and Ultra16mm film. So I use my old Spectra Professional lightmeter. It is not manufacturered anymore but is reliable and doesn't need batteries.
I'm strictly "old-school", I shoot 16MM film, and none of this new-fangled Super or Ultra 16, but good ol' 1.33:1!!! ;) I shoot for my own pleasure and for my friends.

I already have a Spectra Professional P-251 (which needs some TLC after all these years). Just been thinking of upgrading.

Hi Ed,
I am using the Sekonic C-340 which is the analog variant.
Advantage: much cheaper than the electronic ones, doesn't need batteries
Disadvantage: harder to read, lacks some of the advanced features, has a strong magnetic, so it might be dangerous for credit cards, tapes, harddrives

If you can afford it, go with the Sekonic L-758C. A friend of mine bought it and it is really great!

Do you have the manual for your Spectra? I'm missing mine, and need to refresh my memory on it's use. I wonder if you could copy it for me?

I found my manual for the P-251 on ebay for about ten bucks. If you have the slides, just put the corresponding slide in your meter and take a measurement. For example, If you using 100T film use the 100 slide, Unless you using reflex camera like the bolex in which you will have to compensate for the reflex action.

Last edited:
Back