Filming in Louisiana

Hey guys,
I'm new to this blog- just found it this morning. But I'm not new to the industry. I'm a working DP here in Louisiana since 1979. Yep, still working, I have not fully retired but I have slowed down a bit.
As you might guess, I've been around and I've shot hundreds of commercials, music videos and a dozen features , on 35mm... love film... and now I'm shooting in digital (bitter/sweet).
I also owned a 40 ft. Tractor trailer lighting and grip rig for years, but sold it in the mid 90's.
I've down scaled to a 3 ton grip/lighting truck, and that's how I operate today.
About 5 years ago, I started specializing in food, action food... with effects, because I enjoy that style work, plus it's really refreshing to work with much smaller crews and scale.
I'm big on in camera effects. I have a shop, and I build all my machnical devices and rigs... I enjoy that the most... the challenge.

Sorry for the long spill. I look forward to talking with the Community- sharing my experiences and learning from others.

Randy Walsh
Director of Photography
Strayfilms.net

Bonjour voisin!

I feel like I've heard your name somewheres across the basin. We're a small indie film group out of Lafayette, LA! Welcome to the forum!

Very cool! Well, I should know you, I do know a number of folks in the industry in Lafayette.
I've done work with most all the ad agency's there, as well as I've shot for Vidox, and I do a fair amount of Gaffer work and equipment rental with them as well.

No. that's not an interest of mine. I enjoy production when time, care and talent is all applied. I love designing camera movement and developing action with effects. I've never been a fan of gorilla production. But I have great appreciation for those who do.

What I like about 48HFP is that it forces you to just shoot something. Obviously, the more prepared and professionally minded you are, the better your film will be. I prefer a properly scheduled, scored, designed, and captured production as well, but things like 48 can also be fun.

Back