• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing software for windows?

Hi guys,
I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend some decent free editing software for windows. I'm used to editing with final cut but don't have access to it for my upcoming short. Would it perhaps be best to download the adobe premiere trial? Or is there a free decent equivalent out there?
Thanks!

I highly recommend Premiere. It's solid as shit. Frankly, I don't think you should even consider any other software.

It's not just the fact that Premiere is arguably the best prosumer software available. It's the entire Adobe suite that makes it most valuable. The ease with which you can move between the vast array of programs at your fingertips in the Creative Cloud is a huge benefit. Add into that the fact that the Creative Cloud makes it really easy to collaborate with people who aren't sitting right next to you. And then on top of all that, it's affordable! A lot of people were angry when Adobe stopped making their software available to be outright purchased, switching to a subscription service. I understand their frustrations, and they are valid. But I LOVE their new subscription service. I own a really old and outdated version of Premiere, and I really don't have the finances to purchase a new one. But for only twenty bucks a month I can have the best prosumer editing software available, and I'll always get the new updates?! That's awesome! And there's no contract! You can use it for just a month or two, if that suits your needs. There's no better way to go.

Try before you buy. The latest CC offerings from Adobe have been nothing but buggy and crash prone for me. So much so that I have jumped ship and now edit happily with Avid and am wishing I had done it sooner. Vegas is really great on Windows, but the interface seems about ten years behind. Resolve is great for color, but you really need a good computer to edit video with it. So definitely try them out first before you commit.

Back