Should reshoot this whole short to fix the continuity in one shot only?

I am shooting a documentary type interview project, and the person who is hosting it, has to do the closing of the interview and then it's finished. However, she got her hair cut short, before the last shoot, and it's literally just one shot I need.

Since it's a documentary/interview type project, does continuity in the hair matter? One option I could do is, to use one of her reaction shots from before, and have her do a voice over narration of her closing, over her reaction shot. But I feel that would be inconsistent with the style, since she spoke in the prior shots, while conveying her thoughts to the camera.

What do you think? Should I use a reaction shot with voice over, or shoot the last shot with her hair cut short, compared to before?

I guess it depends on what's worse. A discontinuity in hair, or a discontinuity in how her interview is being conveyed, dialogue wise, to the camera. What do you think?

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
How long was her hair before she cut it, and is the change noticeable enough to be jarring to the viewer? If so, I would go with the voice-over/narration, and find some clever way to incorporate that seamlessly into the ending.

...Or you could find a convincing wig that looks something like her hair did before her trip to the salon (But then you would risk pulling a "Samurai Cop" and wind up with something goofy).

If she dresses differently as well and the passage of time is either conveyed or irrelevant you might get away with it.
Or keep her off screen.

OR
Reshooting the whole interview might yield better results, btw, or not.
Give it a try if you both have the time for it.

Okay thanks. I don't think that reshooting the entire thing may be the best option. The footage I have is good, I think, so a reshoot could risk in it being not as good for whatever reason.

I have thought about the wig but worried about pulling a samurai cop. The front of her hair may match, but not the back or sides at all, so maybe I could just do something for the back and sides.

Well I was planning on her wearing the same clothes, but maybe for the closing, she can wear different clothes which will help, and I could do a dissolve to indicate a passage of time. There isn't necessarily a logical storytelling reason for a passage of time, since it's an interview, so I can go with that, along with different clothes, or the voice over narration.

Okay thanks. I don't think that reshooting the entire thing may be the best option. The footage I have is good, I think, so a reshoot could risk in it being not as good for whatever reason.

The beauty of reshooting is that the risk of getting worse material will not delete what you already shot.
If the new stuff is worse: toss it.
If it is better: use it.

If you already know your structure, you could look for a point near the end where a little jump in time works best and then only reshoot the parts that come after that.

Or have her close the story outside of the interview setting addressing the viewer with perhaps a small recap or conclusion.

I didn't have a particular hat in mind.

But something simple, easy and elegant.. maybe like this?

My-Fair-Lady-hats-824773_698_900.jpg

great movie - time for a re-make :)

They seem to be ruining all of the classics for profit. There's a plentiful supply of talented, original screenwriters out there, but these greedy film studios are looking to capitalize on familiar names/faces. Pathetic, really. True Grit (2010) should never have happened.

Originally posted by FilmOwl96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesemann View Post
great movie - time for a re-make

They seem to be ruining all of the classics for profit. There's a plentiful supply of talented, original screenwriters out there, but these greedy film studios are looking to capitalize on familiar names/faces. Pathetic, really. True Grit (2010) should never have happened.

I'm mostly kidding because I agree with you. But there's a small piece of me that says that the underlying story from My Fair Lady (George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion) about the assumptions that are made based on how people talk is one that could well be re-done completely in contemporary society.

Speaking of remakes, I had a plot with the roles reversed, where Eliza Doolittle would be wearing a garter belt and cracking the whip, while poor Professor Higgins (and other males) would be chained and on their knees, begging for mercy every time they made a grammatical error. :)

Back