7D on the Big Screen

Has anyone seen/projected Canon 7D 1080p 24fps footage onto a professional theater screen/converted to 35mm? How is the quality/resolution?

What are some good shooting settings to ensure best screen quality? (Sharpness etc.)

Anti-Hero? Sure did.

Fwiw, I saw that on the big screen at SoCal Independent Filmfest - the resolution held quite well.

Ditto. Was at this very screening with Zen. Only a handful of shots seemed compromised to my eyes, but the majority of the film totally held up on the screen. I just loved that day trip montage that included the shot inside the movie theater. :D

Ditto. Was at this very screening with Zen. Only a handful of shots seemed compromised to my eyes, but the majority of the film totally held up on the screen. I just loved that day trip montage that included the shot inside the movie theater. :D

I think I have a pretty good guess as to which scenes stood out. There was one, in particular, that I came really close to cutting, because half of the footage was out of focus. In the end, I said F-it, because the scene is just plain funny.

In addition to that, there were a couple of scenes that were rather heavily cropped. I have a feeling those stood out to you.

I think Zensteve nailed it on the head, in mentioning the Roger Ebert distinction between DVD and VHS. I think an audience rapidly adjusts to whatever resolution they're watching in. I've seen plenty of film fests that were projected in boring-ol' standard definition, and everyone is fine with it.

I think the reason Flicker noticed the resolution in a couple scenes from Antihero was only because he had adjusted to watching my movie in 1080p, and then all of a sudden, here comes a scene (or a single shot) that has been cropped to 720p. If the entire movie had been in 720p, he'd have been fine with it, but the jumping back-and-forth between resolutions can be jarring.

And yes, I'll definitely keep you all abreast of when it's fully available for public viewing. It feels like this whole thing has played out in geological time. But we're finally nearing the end. I should have it streaming within a few months. :)

if you're only viewing DSLR footage on a big screen, you'll likely forget about it or the lesser quality in comparison to a better camera will go largely unnoticed. [...] On it's own, the 5D footage would've been okay, but straight up after Alexa footage and before S16 footage, it was jarring to see how low the quality was.

I think this is an important point that most people seem to skip over. If you're just screening your film for an audience where they have no immediate point of comparison it'll look just fine. I screened a bunch of our short films in what is probably one of the best theaters in the country - some were shot on HDV, most on a 5D, and I didn't have time to prep ProRes masters for all of them so they were mostly 15-20mbps h.264. Honestly they all looked great and the audience loved them. There was even a mix of 720p and 1080p, but never within the same short. Now I'm sure if we'd thrown something shot on RED and professionally graded into the mix the audience would have noticed the quality difference, but since they were fairly consistent it was fine. I think once you've got a solid, basically good image that is consistent throughout the film things like the story and acting are much more important to the audience.

Back