How's This for an Editing Laptop?

We'll, I called HP to inquire about options not listed on their website like not getting trial software that the laptop comes with and a bigger hard drive. The sales rep tried to talk me into buying a more expensive laptop, a zbook, with a much smaller hard drive.

So, I will be going with an HP Omen in about two weeks with the biggest available hard drive for the laptop, 2 TB.

I am looking to get the latest HitFilm Pro V4. With it. HitFilm comes with three licenses, from what I am reading on their website. I will get the HP with Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop and Premiere Elements, and Cyberlink PowerDVD and a carrying case. I have a USB 3 external Blu-ray burner I can add to it.

That should be a good setup for a new portable editing workstation.

Last edited:
Well, Sweetie,

It is good bang for the buck as an all-in-one post solution. A junior version of HitFilm is integrated into Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 13, which I used for special effects in a new edited version of the teaser for my 2008 feature film, I, Creator that came out much better than the original teaser. So, I am looking forward to using the full professional version with the new laptop. So, I already have a taste of HitFilm. Three licenses means I can install a second copy on my desktop computer as well. Plus, the new laptop will come with Photoshop and Premiere Elements. So, a second editing program will be on the laptop as well. Both Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro use the same software engine. It's easy to move from one to the other.

It is good bang for the buck
I hope it's that in a good way for you and not in a way that a condemned building is good bang for the buck to live in.

If you want cheap, go for Resolve's editing, grading, fx range of programs. From what I understand, free too. Better bang for the buck?

I can install a second copy on my desktop computer as well
You can do that with Premiere too. You can even use the cloud so you don't need to manually copy the projects between machines.

Hope it does well for you.

that was a kick ass laptop dude, but the one that maybe making a future probe was the sad was too small for placement your apps, i recommend to add up some ext sad or upgrade the sad

Sweetie,

From my experience with the intergrated version of HitFilm with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 13, HitFilm will be easy to learn and use. It has the features of many popular Fx programs and compatible with After Effects and a few other high end products. It comes with a built-in 3D special effects editor, 2D special effects editor with gun shot Fx, sci-fi Fx, explosions, smoke Fx, a 3D title generator, a full linear editing program, and more. Some people on this board rushed in to buy the earlier version a few years ago.

adamaming,

What's the sad?

that was a kick ass laptop dude, but the one that maybe making a future probe was the sad was too small for placement your apps, i recommend to add up some ext sad or upgrade the sad

I am looking for portability in a laptop and not one anchored to a desk with too many external accessories. All I need is the built-in SD Card reader and not an additional mini SD Card reader with a skimpy small hard drive.

Mini SD Cards are for smartphones and tablets. The full sized SD Card is for DSLR cameras, which is what the laptop will be working with. In my experience, hard drive space fills up fast when editing a project when the production footage, rough cut edits in many versions, stock footage, and VFx all get on the hard drive. I wanted a laptop with a 4TB hard drive, but I have to settle for a 2TB.

I have edited footage on my desktop computer with an internal SATA hard drive and three USB 3 hard drives. It's fast enough for me.

I hope it's that in a good way for you and not in a way that a condemned building is good bang for the buck to live in.

If you want cheap, go for Resolve's editing, grading, fx range of programs. From what I understand, free too. Better bang for the buck?

You can do that with Premiere too. You can even use the cloud so you don't need to manually copy the projects between machines.

Hope it does well for you.

Sweetie,

My problem with Premiere Pro in the CC is that it is no longer available as a single purchase item. Meaning, it no longer is sold as a one time purchase. I already have MS Office 365 with five licenses on subscription. The more software I buy on subscription, the more difficult it gets to manage monthly expenses. HitFilm is a one time purchase. That's an important reason why I am switching over to HitFilm. I managed to get an off the self last copy of one of the last Premiere Pro CC a few years back. Too many other monthly bills keep going up that are out of my control like phone and utilities for me to squeeze myself with monthly expenses.

Are you referring to a solid state SSD drive?

The HP Omen comes with both a 2TB SATA hard drive and a 128 Gig SSD drive. The largest SSD drive they sell is 512 Gigs. But, I want the 2TB SATA drive as the main drive because size does matter to me.

I generally keep the core programs, royalty free video, animation files, temp file space, and in the case of a laptop I want to be portable production are footage, and all editing versions on the main drive, which eats up a lot of space.

With a desktop that is meant to stay in one place, I have anywhere from four to six external hard drive that are FireWire 1 and 2 and USB 3. No hard drive is smaller than 1 TB. Most are 2TB.

I am planning to tweak the preferences in the settings of the video editing software to use the 128 Gig SSD drive as the cache drive for temp files for editing.

On the topic of software for the laptop, I was advised by people in two IT departments to replace Windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8.1. Windows 10 is very unstable and known to knock out video drivers, video displays, printer drivers, and freeze computers. They recommend the older two until Microsoft can come out with a newer and more stable operating system.

Good to know, so I am passing on the information. I already bought a new Windows 8.1 Professional 64 bit with a new license. Best place to shop for it is EBay.

I was advised by people in two IT departments to replace Windows 10 with Windows 7 or 8.1
I'm glad you're taking the advice of your IT department. I assume they are very experienced in using your editing software to determine it's stability. I know for Adobe, Windows 10 is the most stable of those three choices.

I have Windows 8.1 on an editing desktop computer and can say it is very stable with Adobe, Sony, and third-party products. I've used Windows 8.1 for three years and never seen a glitch with any software or hardware. IT people see operating systems in more computers than most people. So, if they advise me against Windows 10 for the stated reasons, I will listen to them. I don't need a blank screen or frozen computer in the middle of an editing job. I used to have the computer freeze with Windows Vista. It was frustrating.

So is that a no to them being experienced with said software?

Good to know.

The point I'm trying to make: You should pay attention to qualifying the person supplying the information before jumping into action. Using 8.1 isn't a horrible choice. Using it because an IT guy who's clueless about what you'll be using the computer for tell you to may not have been smart. He's probably steering you towards 8.1 due to the widespread PEBCAK issues common to Windows 10. While they're often entertaining, they're also frustrating. He's probably hoping he won't have to fix those issues for you.

with Windows Vista. It was frustrating.
I know... and remember 3.0? Oh the humanity. Nothing to do with the discussion of Windows 10, but how creepy right?

So is that a no to them being experienced with said software?

Good to know.

The point I'm trying to make: You should pay attention to qualifying the person supplying the information before jumping into action. Using 8.1 isn't a horrible choice. Using it because an IT guy who's clueless about what you'll be using the computer for tell you to may not have been smart. He's probably steering you towards 8.1 due to the widespread PEBCAK issues common to Windows 10. While they're often entertaining, they're also frustrating. He's probably hoping he won't have to fix those issues for you.

I know... and remember 3.0? Oh the humanity. Nothing to do with the discussion of Windows 10, but how creepy right?

Windows 10 may have worked for you with your one computer. IT people are responsible for numerous computers and operators in a company and see more in a day than you may see in years with problems with operating systems in various computers in different configurations and difference environments. They are responsible for keeping entire corporations computers, tablets, and smartphones running. When they have to go through the trouble of removing Windows 10 from the devises in their company, it's got serious issues. Besides speaking with IT people in two companies, I spoke to individuals who have used Windows 10. You are the only one who seems to be having luck with Windows 10. I'm not taking chances. I don't have the time or patience to have a computer work one day, freeze and lose unsaved data the next, and have no display the day after that.

In legal terms you've basically said, "I've got some advice from our family lawyer. I'm ready to tackle this complicated entertainment distribution agreement, so back off and leave me to it"

Part of my job at 2 places I work it to design and install stable new editing PCs. The previous guy, an IT guy mind you, did such a shoddy job, it was cheaper for them to have me throw everything away and start from scratch than to continue having him fix the machines and tolerate the downtime. His machines operated fine as office machines though for some reason fell down in a heap under the load that the editors put on their machines.

From experience, about 97% of issues regarding stability on these machines stems from PEBCAK issues. About 2.5% from software/bug/driver related issues and the remaining .5% from hardware failure. You gotta keep those PEBCAKs under control.

I'm not taking chances.
If you feel you know better, who am I to tell you otherwise. I wish you luck and hope you get the results you require.

Back