AVID Media Composer 6.5 for RED & HD

I am reading up that this is a great software package for RED and HD from articles I googled.

Does anyone have any personal experience they would like to share using Media Composer 6.5?

I can't speak highly enough of Avid, and would have to respectfully disagree with Paul that Premiere's faster - albeit depending on your computer setup (you certainly need some power to run Avid).

I've currently got some Epic 5k footage on Avid at the moment I'm cutting together - just some boring lens tests I'll share when it's cut together.

I will say I came to Avid from Final Cut and it was totally different for me. It took a bit of getting used to, but once I did I feel I cut much faster and even perhaps better than I did on FCP. Many make the switch to Premiere because it's supposedly closer to FCP in the way it works, but I personally just didn't like it.
MC is expensive, but it's a great piece of software, and it's colour grading tools are awesome. It is designed as an editing tool though, so you don't get the effects and such that you get out of FCP or Premiere, though I've honestly never found that to be a big issue.

There must be some big changes since I used FCP and AVID with my Canon GL-1 a good decade ago. But, looking for work with a TV network, I see the networks all use AVID. Few use FCP

So, AVID makes sense to step up and prep for the big leagues.

Where AVID excels above any and all NLE's is Media Management. You can have an AVID server with hundreds of hours of footage not experience any slow downs or problems opening the project. ADOBE and APPLE are way behind in that regard. This is one of the reasons why AVID dominates in the television market.

Back