Software Question

Does anyone use FCP 7.03 and the cloud version of AE CS6? I have 7.03 and as it ageing (and needs replacing), I have to find workarounds for all kinds of little issues.

I want to upgrade to Adobe Premier at some point but but wanted to know if anyone out there is using 7.03 with After Effects. If you are, do the two work together?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'm certainly not aware of any issues between the two - truth be told, because there's no real integration between the Apple and Adobe suites there aren't really any incompatibilities to overcome. Unless you use a product like Automatic Duck, you'll need to manually export/import your XML/EDL and video files when moving between the two.

I don't use FCP at all, but I'd assume that it would be as simple as finding a lossless file format that both can use.

What work around are you using so the readers might have a better idea what you mean.

Last edited:
Automatic Duck was acquired by adobe and is built into the creative suite now, so I would assume the adobe creative cloud would include access to it.

That said, I would probably do an image sequence export from FCP, import that into AE for whatever you're looking to do with AE then render out an image sequence from AE and bring that back into FCP and replace your original clip on the timeline with it.

Whatever workflow you opt for, there's no reason you can't use FCP & AE together, they won't be anywhere near as integrated as Premiere and AE, but no reason you can't use them together.

I use both FCP 7 and CS6 cloud. I have not ran into any problems whatsoever with FCP 7 and AE. When I work with FCP and AE I stick to ProRes. If I am working Premiere with AE, I stick to animation exports from AE. Both workflows are smooth.

Back