AVID Certification/Editing Career

I've chosen to focus on editing as the key skill amidst my range of ability. This is the one I want to hone to perfection and prove.

I've been editing for 8 years with Premiere, post-college education (i have no degree). I can operate Final Cut with similar ease. I've edited films for corporate (big blue chip companies) and I even chopped together a lifestyle TV episode for a client to pitch to channel 4. This was all while mastering the craft ofcourse under a broadcast/corporate producer, but now I'm teaching students Premiere for their diploma courses. Not exactly where I'd like to be, but atleast I'm hands on with editing software everyday.

So here comes the question. I ultimately want to be editing full time in the TV, Film or Game industry, even if it is contract work. What do I invest my time and money into now?

Do I write a short film, direct it and edit it myself with Premiere/Final Cut and use it as a showcase for my ability?

Do I just try and land editing gigs with my current level of experience and hope something good comes my way?

Do I take an AVID training course at a cost of a few £1000 and get certified?

Do I take a slightly less expensive Final Cut Pro course and get Apple FCP certified?

Any other ideas, or general opinions? What are the benefits of these courses? Is a showreel really better than a certification in terms of applying for editing roles? Decision time!

Thanks :) That's kind of what I was thinking, but If i'm going to cut together a creative reel, do I do it with whatever editing software I've got to hand, or do I look to convey some technical clout and try and teach myself Avid or advanced FCP? Maybe I don't need the certification, but displaying some knowledge of the software in question would be a good start?

That begs another question - is there any obvious way I could get my hands on an AVID suite just for practice and showreel purposes, without overly damaging my wallet?

the only advice i can say is do some studies, learn what companies use, decide what you will use then go with that.

once i have finished my short film within the next few months il start to learn more about fcpx (currently using), Adobe premiere pro cs6

i think adobe are going in the right places, their membership scheme is pretty good, but also dont forget your PC requirements.

Where abouts in the uk are you from?

I ultimately want to be editing full time in the TV, Film or Game industry, even if it is contract work. What do I invest my time and money into now?
Identify the employers you'd like to work for and just contact their human resources/personnel department and ask about what positions are available and if they have a job description for the position you're interested in filling, whether it's currently available or not.
Depending upon the size of the employer or the way they run their shop a job description may be varying degrees from formal to ad hoc "gap-filler."
You're looking for the competencies the employer is looking to obtain.

A google search around the web may indicate both what some competencies employers are generally looking for as well as what competencies applicants are providing to prospective employers.

This seemed remotely interesting: http://www.sparkmediasolutions.com/opinions03.html

Thanks!
The only reason I bring Avid into the equation, for example, is because the majority of feature films and trailers are edited using the software. Then again, there are many films edited on FCP, Lightworks, Premiere etc. It all depends on budget and preference. It's just because film editing in particular is an area I'm interested in, and there can't be any harm in learning Avid. If it's worth paying thousands for a certification though, I do not know.

I do like Adobe. Im familiar with their whole creative suite, but unfortunately their video editing package is primarily used by corporate and low-budget users at the moment so I'm finding it difficult to apply for jobs based on my lack of commercial FCP and Avid experience.

I'm in Hampshire, so naturally was looking to commute or relocate to London.

And I have been actively applying for editing roles, but it's a no go at the moment. Too much experienced competition, but I figure they all started somewhere. The most commonly used software is FCP generally, but AVID is for the high end production. As I said, couldn't be any harm in learning Avid, but is getting a certification in it going to be worthwhile?

I think building a body of work is key as well. I recently heard an interview with Quentin Tarantino, and they were talking about his long time editor, who recently passed away.

Getting a job with a company may be great, but I also think freelancing would be a step in the right direction. Put a reel together with what you've done. Use that to maybe land some gigs around your area, or even online (music videos, shorts). If your ultimate goal is feature film editor, keep striving towards that area. Maybe you end up hooking up with an up and comer, and you end up his go to editor. Continue updating your reel. I know we have to pay the bills and put food on the table, so do what you have to to provide for yourself and your family.

On a side note, I started out with an interest in film making (which brought me here). Along the way, I developed a big interest in editing as well, which in turn shifted my attention to 3D animation, for live action integration (my main focus at the moment), but is slowly narrowing that down to Image Based Lighting, for live action 3D animation integration.

The only reason I bring Avid into the equation, for example, is because the majority of feature films and trailers are edited using the software.

Not just feature films but a great deal of TV is also edited using AVID. Of all the packages, Avid is almost certainly the most important one to know well as far as working professionally is concerned. FCP7 also used to be very popular and maybe FCPX is starting to gain some ground back after it's disastrous launch. I wouldn't say spending thousands getting certification is essential though, useful but not essential. Not mentioning the creative side, knowing Avid very well and being able to use it very efficiently (fast) is essential if you want to work professionally, as is understanding a professional workflow, EG., Project organisation and file management, how to use and generate EDL's, Change Notes, AAFs, etc.

For paid film work, you could look for an Assistant Editor role, be aware though that the Asst. Editor is responsible for creating the deliverables for the other post departments, so again make sure you've really got the workflow down pat! Another good place to start would be as suggested by others, with no/lo budget filmmakers and build a rep and showreel from there, while still applying for paid positions as you are now.

G

Useful advice everyone. As with most subjects on this forum, there are no definitive answers but it certainly helps me to have others bounce ideas around in order to make a more informed decision. Thanks.

Useful advice everyone. As with most subjects on this forum, there are no definitive answers but it certainly helps me to have others bounce ideas around in order to make a more informed decision. Thanks.

Friend of mine recently has secured a job as a junior editor at an Avid house which makes all of its profits from documentaries. He went to film school, edited some short films (including a couple I did some stuff on), some skteches, applied for jobs and managed to get one.

Back