The Desolation of Smaug

^Thanks for posting that. I would also like to add that Morgoth (originally named Melkor - one of the voices that created Middle-Earth) deceived the Elves quite cunningly so this skill was passed down to his servant Sauron. Sauron made the Elves believe that the rings they were crafting were for a good purpose but, in secret he forged the One Ring to rule all the others. The Elves eventually discovered Sauron's true nature. The notion of evil in Tolkien's Middle-Earth is a complex one because it's not just all black or white. Sauron's original form was similar to that of an angel. There is a line that someone says in the novels at some point, can't remember who but I think they say something like, "Nothing is evil in the beginning, even Sauron was not so."

This is also why Gollum is such a tragic character and the whole theme with his character is that he is someone who, though he has committed evil deeds, there is a part of him that is good and there's some choices that were made regarding him and by him that ultimately leads to the destruction of the One Ring and Sauron.

Last edited:
Another thing to note...

You can only put your characters at deaths door and pull them away so many times before the audience becomes numb to the effect.

Consider the keyhole scene... aside from the fact that the book explicitly states "the setting sun with the last light"... PJ decides to hold off once again, send the dwarves off in defeat only to have moonlight be the key (get it?)

Just have the damn door open. This was another 5 minutes of the movie that did absolutely nothing to advance the story.

this actually pissed me off during the movie. Did any human watching this movie actually believe they would be like "screw it, lets just give up now" RIGHT as they were about to enter the mountain...

Back