Seeking advice on starting a production company

I apologize for my response earlier which perhaps crossed the line.
@mussonman, Yes, I will be certainly looking into wedding videos and event videos within my network in DC.
Well, like many here, ofcourse my ultimate passion is to make feature films, but telling stories through other forms (commercials, documentaries, corporate videos, short films etc) is also something I enjoy doing.

Last edited:
In my opinion, middle range cameras $1,000-$6,000 are the ones that get outdated the fastest.
Every year or two there's a new model or version coming out in this price range and for a rental house that means your cameras are quickly outdated. Something to be wary of.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone has just bought a used camera... filmed with it, and then sold it for the same price they bought it for.
Free rental?

That's true, given the volatility in the camera market. I would surely consider buying second hand cameras or gear if I can find them in good condition.
What's your opinion about Black Magic (URSA Mini 4.6K Camera) for the kind of work I will be doing most likely in the beginning (wedding videos, events and some corporate work)? I hear its more suited for truly low budget indie films.

Are you planning on being a one man show? Surely you can partner with or hire someone with the knowledge you seek. I mean sure you can ask here, but it seems like you'd want to partner up with someone with knowledge.

A chef with ideas for recipes needs a business partner to open a restaurant.

You can get some great images from it.

I'd test it in low light, make sure you're covered if you're filming events and get stuck in a bad environment. Have at least one camera that can shine in low light filming

Sure. Im looking to hire. Im certainly not hoping to be a one man show as im more of a director/producer than a dop or editor. I do have some basic technical knowledge, but surely need to collaborate. I'm working on hiring both an administrative person and technical person-or if im lucky someone who could do both. ;)

There's something in software development called agile development.

The idea is that instead of developing 100% of the product you develop the smallest component possible that will still provide value to your users. One piece of the puzzle that they can immediately start using, because then you get feedback as your software grows.

Maybe you can apply this methodology.
Instead of going all in... get one production package and test the waters filming events with it. Get some experience that will inform your next purchases.

What's your opinion about Black Magic (URSA Mini 4.6K Camera) for the kind of work I will be doing most likely in the beginning (wedding videos, events and some corporate work)? I hear its more suited for truly low budget indie films.

From my understanding, BM cameras are fine for indie style shoots. Short films, maybe some commercial work. Netflix seems to like the camera, but how can you trust them? They seem to prefer it over the Alexa.

Weddings and Events are more suited to the Cxxx Canon cameras. Perhaps the F series Sony. I've actually never had much to do with the F series Sonys so get another persons opinion on that.

It sounds like you should look at getting a Canon C300 mk2. It'll cost you a pretty penny, but it should safely cover you for your list of what you want to shoot.

Cameras aren't exactly my area. Who you really need to ask if the guy you originally pissed off, Jax. Good luck in getting him to write a decent response after your treatment. It'd serve you right if he avoided you like the plague.

I have the Ursa Mini 4K, and we have the 4.6K at work. They are fantastic cameras for narrative and commercial work. Basically any work where you have total control over the lighting. If I was doing events, they would not be my first choice at all. So yeah, I agree that they're great for indie films, but not so much for events.

@sweetie
Thanks for your recommendations.
.It'd serve you right if he avoided you like the plague.
Dont you think this is little crossing the line for you as well?

@El Director-
I have been reading the same. Thanks for confirming. It seems that in the beginning, I might not wanna buy this one as by the time I want to use it, new model will be in the market with decreased price.

It'd serve you right if he avoided you like the plague.
Dont you think this is little crossing the line for you as well?

Seriously? Apples and oranges. If you're trying to be a prick, be entertaining, or get better at it.

You're biting the hand that you've asked to feed you. Additionally you've mildly irritated me.

My advice for you: [Deleted - Edited] Actually, stuff it. I know what it's like to be an a**hole in business. You can blow your money while you learn your own lessons.

Ahhh damn Sweetie wasn't in on that hug.

The first rule of Sweetiebird club. Never poke the bear if you can't handle the heat in the kitchen... or mix metaphors.

The downside to being an a**hole. There's always a bigger a**hole, and I've had a lifetime of experience to draw from ;)

@indietalk -Yes, he certainly wasnt on that hug. Perhaps its something he was never taught about.

@sweetie- Not sure what is your problem, but if you want to be a pri**, i can play the game very well. But honestly you are not worth it.

he certainly wasnt on that hug.

With so many sexual harassment claims floating around, it didn't seem wise to get all touchy-feely. But if I have your permission and you're of legal age, we can discuss further. /wink

You guys crack me up

What you mean? I thought we were on a new business plan:

Free-Hugs-760x500.jpg

Back