Looking to create great indie film genre: cult/thriller/drama

Hello, I am looking to create a great indie film, I have the plot and am looking for a team to build with directors and screen writers to help make this movie. I guarantee that once you get the gist of the movie you will because captive of it's insane plot twist. I am mainly looking for directors to film, I wrote the story and plan on playing the main character but also need other characters..

First, this isn't a genre film.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I think you're going to have a hard time to develop this story into what would be a fresh experience for the audience. It's been done to death.

Note: I'd change the character names.

I don't get what wouldnt make it a thriller, and a fresh experience? can you name 3 movies similar to this plot?

I don't get what wouldnt make it a thriller

It very much may be able to become a thriller, action or even an adventure flick after it's been developed. The way that you've pitched, it comes across as a drama, which isn't a genre as per say. When you're pitching a film, genre refers to the marketability category of your film (Horror, action, adventure etc) where those films have a build in audience. Dramas don't. Thrillers can be float between depending on who you talk to.

a fresh experience?

Who knows. You may be the super writer who can do it. If you can, great for you. This is simply my impression from your pitch. You've written 20 pages. I have no idea what's within those twenty pages. It could be gold, it could be a steaming pile. The execution is really where it shines or not.

I simply gave you my opinion. It doesn't mean it's correct. It doesn't mean you need to accept it. Discard it if you see fit.

can you name 3 movies similar to this plot?

I'm working on a film starting tomorrow with a very similar plot.

I can think of one successful film that uses the imaginary friend theme. There are many others that failed miserably. I prefer not to clutter my head with garbage knowledge. If you want more examples, do your research or pay someone to do it for you.

I'd rather you pitch advice then ridicule me

No one is ridiculing you and a most in this forum don't appreciate the passive aggressive attempt. If you want advice, you should ask. Be aware, there is a line between asking for advice and asking someone to do what is essentially your job.

You've come here looking for a director. Some like your idea. Some don't. It's how things are in this business. There's no need to get bent out of shape because I believe you're going to have a hard time achieving a quality film using this concept.

My advice would be: Make the script exceptional. Then you're going to ask, "How do I do that" and I'm going to reply, "By writing an exceptional script or finding someone to write you an exceptional script."... "How do you know when a script is exceptional?" .."That's the million dollar question. If I knew that secret, do you think I'd be hanging around here? I'd be making those exceptional films." Kind of cyclical, isn't it?

In the end, my opinion doesn't really matter. Who am I? I'm a nobody. Just like you.

about 20 pages so far. Looking for a crew though.
How long before you have a finished script?

In order to find a crew you will need start dates and know
how long the shoot will be. Most crew will not commit to
a movie without know when and for how long the shoot is.
You want to film this summer. When do you want to film?

I'd highly recommend making a few 5 minute short films under your belt first.
It would get you much needed absolutely essential experience under your belt.
And it would help make you few connections too in the process.

It very much may be able to become a thriller, action or even an adventure flick after it's been developed. The way that you've pitched, it comes across as a drama, which isn't a genre as per say. When you're pitching a film, genre refers to the marketability category of your film (Horror, action, adventure etc) where those films have a build in audience. Dramas don't. Thrillers can be float between depending on who you talk to.

Who knows. You may be the super writer who can do it. If you can, great for you. This is simply my impression from your pitch. You've written 20 pages. I have no idea what's within those twenty pages. It could be gold, it could be a steaming pile. The execution is really where it shines or not.

I simply gave you my opinion. It doesn't mean it's correct. It doesn't mean you need to accept it. Discard it if you see fit.

I'm working on a film starting tomorrow with a very similar plot.

I can think of one successful film that uses the imaginary friend theme. There are many others that failed miserably. I prefer not to clutter my head with garbage knowledge. If you want more examples, do your research or pay someone to do it for you.

No one is ridiculing you and a most in this forum don't appreciate the passive aggressive attempt. If you want advice, you should ask. Be aware, there is a line between asking for advice and asking someone to do what is essentially your job.

You've come here looking for a director. Some like your idea. Some don't. It's how things are in this business. There's no need to get bent out of shape because I believe you're going to have a hard time achieving a quality film using this concept.

My advice would be: Make the script exceptional. Then you're going to ask, "How do I do that" and I'm going to reply, "By writing an exceptional script or finding someone to write you an exceptional script."... "How do you know when a script is exceptional?" .."That's the million dollar question. If I knew that secret, do you think I'd be hanging around here? I'd be making those exceptional films." Kind of cyclical, isn't it?

In the end, my opinion doesn't really matter. Who am I? I'm a nobody. Just like you.

Thanks for your critique to be honest this is the first time i've gotten a red light for any of my ideas, ha. That's why i didn't react to normal but believe me I appreciate it.
Would you suggest me writting a book for this story while I develop a few short stories?

How long before you have a finished script?

In order to find a crew you will need start dates and know
how long the shoot will be. Most crew will not commit to
a movie without know when and for how long the shoot is.
You want to film this summer. When do you want to film?

I realized me filming this movie this summer is unrealistic, I read that some of my favorite movies were filmed in as little as 28 days but I forget they have a full crew and a 5mil$ budget, I'm thinking bout writing it out as a book first..

I realized me filming this movie this summer is unrealistic, I read that some of my favorite movies were filmed in as little as 28 days but I forget they have a full crew and a 5mil$ budget, I'm thinking bout writing it out as a book first..

What you may not realize is that those are 28 days of production.
Pre-production takes much longer. Post-production even more so.

The longest of all these, in some cases, is writing the script.
Even when your script is finished - that's just the first draft!

Last edited:
I was laughing because the comment you made was funny, it was filled with inexperienced enthusiasm, you will either:

A: quit filmmaking in 6 months
B: try making the film and fail then quit
C: complete the film but have piss poor production standards and no one will want to watch it, then you will quit.
D: change your mind about the film and make a short film, then see how hard it is then quit.
E: become an internet troll and live on this forum without shooting anything for 3 years asking question after question after question, then quit.
F: become sensible, have a go at making a short film, be realistic about your expectations, film your short, it will most likely be shit, you will either quit or continue and improve.

I'm going to go with B..

Thanks for your critique to be honest this is the first time i've gotten a red light for any of my ideas

You have to get used to it. It's why you need a thick skin in this game.

Would you suggest me writting a book for this story

My knowledge about writing books is less than the average joe on the street. My opinion on the topic isn't worth the time of day.

while I develop a few short stories?

It's an option. The truth of the matter, no one can tell you what to do, even more so with the limited amount of information you've posted. I don't even know what you want to do. From what I can tell, you want to act. If that's the case, I'd concentrate on acting and become a great actor. Learn how to market yourself. If you want to write, learn how to write etc. To know what to do, you need to dig deep and answer that question yourself.

Back