• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

'choppiness' in greenscreen

I cant seem to get it quite right. I know its a lighting issue.

I am filming myself walking across a green screen (floor and ceiling are also green but ceiling is not shown). I have about five home depot lights. 3 on the ground and three on stands. the standing lights are,,,one on the left facing slightly right, one on the right facing slightly left and the middle one. Three on the floor.

Now in post, the top part of me walking across the screen is very clear. My feet are broken up. Too much and I show the green background , too little and my feet begin to dissappear.

I close one the lights on the floor and same exact effect. I don't use any floor lights and same effect still.

I think I have tried it with every light situation I can think of but cannot seem to get my feet properly lit so they are not chopped out.

Is there a secret to floor lighting??? Am I using too much lite, too little? Meanwhile, the top part of me is fine which baffles me.

Thanks.

You edit in Sony Vegas, right? While technically that program can key, it's not very good for it.

You should really look into getting a copy of After Effects. The difference is night and day.

After Effects is a stand alone program. You can export video from Vegas, import the file to AFX and work on it, then export back to Vegas.

It comes with the KeyLight filter that's absolutely stellar for chromakey. Used to be a separate plugin but Adobe bought it to include in AE.

Back