• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Compression in Premiere Pro

I am playing around with compressing video/audio in Premiere Pro for web viewing i.e. in line with ITOOFC #4. I am unsure which CODECs to use. I have experimented with a few combinations but nothing that seems par with the quality I see in the Screening Room forum. I am reading up on it but wondered if anyone with Premiere Pro experience can shed some light on this subject. Thanks.

I would say Quick Time is the most compatable. Choose the *.mov extension. You should be able to play around with the settings in Premiere Pro, never used it but you can in Avid and Vegas so check for these web safe settings...

Choose to render as Quick Time 6 (seven is new and is messing up PC's so stay with six until the bugs are out).

There should be a check box or a button that says "Custom" when referring to frame size. You want to manually force it to read 320 width and 240 height (use this for PAL and NTSC).

Look for the "frame rate" should be half of NTSC which is 14.985 and if you're using PAL make it 15.

Look for a "field order" you want to set it to "none" or sometimes called "progressive scan"

Pixel aspect ratio is 1.0

Video format, if it's available choose "Sorenson Video 3"

If you're allowed to compress your depth choose 24 pbb color

If you have a video quality slider of some sort, you can set that to 30%

Data rate either basic or target rate in Kilo Bytes per second (Kbps, KB/s, ect.) set that to 50

Set "keyframe every" 15 is good or if you have a setting called "natural only" (I do in Vegas).

You should also have an audio tab.

Format set to "IMA 4:1" with a sample rate of 22.050 and a bit depth set to 16, channels set to Stereo

Opinions will differ.

Back