Horror Film campaign advice?

Make better rewards.

Do a publicity stunt to get your film some attention.

Remove the "From Award Winning Director" from your campaign's title and actually explain what it is IN THE TITLE

I'll tell you why I won't donate to a flexible fund;

Say I want a producer credit on a $2,500 film for $500. That's 20%
of the total budget. Say you only raise $1,000. Now I have funded
50% of your movie. And I have donated 50% of a $1,000 movie
instead of 20% in a $2,500 movie - which is not what I signed on for.

Also...

Most people come here to indietalk, ask for money and then never
return to the community. Or they watch the replies for a week and
never return.

I wish you the best regardless.

The biggest sticking point for me would be the fact that it’s “Flexible Funding”. If your campaign ends with only the $800 you’ve raised so far, will you still be able to make your movie? Will you still be able to provide the exact same perks to your backers? If so, if you could make your movie for $800, what are you asking for more?

The lack of a pitch video is a shame. Videos allow you to engage and interact with your (potential) audience. According to IGG themselves, campaigns with a pitch video obtain 115% more funding than those without, so why wouldn’t you have one?

There may be another issue; people may just not want to back another haunted house movie. The sub-genre has pretty much been done to death. Your synopsis doesn’t seem to offer anything new.

Out of curiosity, where are all these places you’ve already posted it too? And why did you leave it until so late in the game to post here? Many people seem to think that they can create a campaign and let it run itself. Most find out that that’s not the case.

- No videos to show you can do it (you need not only convince people with your video, but also excite them to be part of it)
- Not explaining the new kind of horror you talk about in the title (Mussonman already said that)
- Flexible funding (Directorik explained that well)
- You mention winning award without naming the title of your winning movie (making it unverifiable)
- No updates

Like mad_hatter I'm curious: on how many places did you post, how many people did you contact?
How many followers on Twitter/Facebook?
What did you do to reach out to your target audience?
Did you reach out to the press?
Did you have a strategy?

Last edited:
Looks like a fun project!

Remember, investors at any level are herd animals. They will only go where many others before them have gone before. The advice I have gotten about crowdfunding is you should have at least 20% of the funds you are attempting to raise, so people see the project has a chance of success.

Also, that you need X number of followers, page likes on social media.

Furthermore, I own a business in real life, I can tell you from experience, indirect marketing is FAR MORE effective than direct marketing. Get some press out there - even blogs or something - about your actors, story, setting, something to get people interested without directly asking for financing.

I will also say our company's free, online monthly newsletter is far and away our most effective marketing tool. And we always try to inform with it, not ask for direct funding. Even when we're raising funds for a non-profit project, the pitch will be about information. Not asking for anything.

Back