TASCAM DR-60DmkII vs DR-60D

I've heard that the only difference between the two is that the DR-60DmkII has a better pre-amp. I can't find anything that shows how much better the pre-amp is or if it's worth it.

I do not currently have a recorder and I have a Videomic Pro. I can find the DR-60D on Ebay for ~$120 and the DR-60DmkII is $199. I'm operating on a micro budget and I'm wondering if the pre-amp is really worth the extra $80 which is 60% more.

There's more than the pre-amp difference. If you're talking $80, go for it. It's likely to be worth it. There's another thread in here that went into some of the differences a couple of weeks back. Go hunting.

It's all about how much you want to spend to avoid some minor "annoyances" and get marginally better preamps. I say "annoyances" because after the -60 came out folks said "it needs this," "the way you have to do this really sucks," etc.; thats why there's a mkII.

Go to various websites like B&H, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Sam Ash (and a thousand others) and read reviews; see what trade-ups did and did not like about the mkII.

BTW, I'm intrigued by the -70D. Ergonomically it's really well aimed product. It can be mounted on the tripod under the camera, and it looks like it would fit very nicely in a bag. It has four (4) XLR inputs and records four (4) simultaneous tracks. Probably the same old Tascam preamps, but that's okay... you can't have everything for $300. Anyway, the DR-70D is well aimed at the Indie market. I can't wait to hear how it does out in the field.

dr-70d.gif

I have a hypercardioid now but the levels still need to be raised a little bit in post. Still this is workable, it doesn't sound bad to raise them a little bit.

What do you think is the next step up in price for something with a good pre-amp?

For "good" preamps you want something of decent quality, like the Sound Devices MM-1.

mm1fr.jpg

Only one (1) channel, but it's very transparent, has phantom power, a basic limiter and rudimentary high pass filter, plus excellent headphone monitoring. Great for boom-ops and a nice addition to many sound kits. About $500.

You can get three channels with the PSC ProMix 3 (about $475). The routing functions are pretty basic, but that shouldn't be a concern for most production sound newbs. In the $1k range you can, of course, get the Sound Devices MixPre-D. You may also want to look into used SD gear; I've seen the 302 for around $500 on eBay and other places, but most are running around $1k as well, although they'll include the bag, etc.

Great information, thanks!

You can get three channels with the PSC ProMix 3 (about $475). The routing functions are pretty basic, but that shouldn't be a concern for most production sound newbs.

So in this case you would use a mixer for it's preamps and still record into the tascam?

Not a bad way to go either although it's an extra piece of gear to carry.

So in this case you would use a mixer for it's preamps and still record into the tascam?

Most professional Production Sound units use a separate mixer and audio recorder. In fact, it is not at all unusual for most professional sound bags to carry (which means that the PSM/Boom-Op has to carry) an audio recorder, a mixer and as many wireless receivers as can be crammed into the bag. And yes, below is a bag a PSM/BO would carry around his/her neck.

Inertia_788T-200x150.jpg

Imagine wearing that around your neck while you're booming!!!!!

Not a bad way to go either although it's an extra piece of gear to carry.

So is a tripod; do you not use one just because it's an extra piece of gear to carry?

Last edited:
I don't like digital interface on dr-70d. Almost everything is done through the one screen with a single button. This interface cannot be accessed while a recording is in progress. So for example if you want to switch from low to medium gain you would have to stop your track and navigate through a little menu and then turn it on. then start recording again.

A minor complaint is it doesn't come with an SD card. Sort of takes away from the excitement of getting it though if you can't use it right away.

Hmmm..

Last edited:
Back