• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

My New FIlm, The Art of Dreaming, is Available Free Online

My short film, who's distribution plan I asked advice on a month or so ago, is now online. I decided for now to require people to sign up to my mailing list to watch it for free. I hope the process is not too cumbersome.

The Art of Dreaming is a 40-minute mini-feature about a young woman mourning the death of her mother who finds that her dream life begins to invade her waking world. It was shot on a micro-budget at New York City locations both exotic and mundane. It has a wonderful lead performance by up-and-coming actress Kate Villanova, practical and digital effects, and a great score by composer Lenny Gonzalez.

We also just got our first review, from Philip Smolen of Rogue Cinema: "eerie, enticing, it … immediately got under my skin."

You can access it from:

www.bobdenatale.com
www.theartofdreamingfilm.com

Check it out, and let me know what you think!

Update: I've decided to eliminate the requirement of signing up for my email list, since I a lot of people are filling out the contact form, but not taking the final (and legally- mandated) step of responding to the confirm email they are sent in order to get the link to watch the movie.

So I'm just urging people to sign up to the contact list if they enjoy the film. Here's the link. Let me know what you think:

http://www.bobdenatale.com/watch-the-art-of-dreaming/

Last edited:
I think your lead actress is very good in an understated way.
Overall the pacing felt a bit slow to me, but it's a matter of taste.

Any reason you don't have it listed on IMDB yet?

I threw a little bit in your tip jar...

Nice work! The cinematography, acting, and concept is great. I really liked the mood you created. The acting and ending is good as well.

There were a few things that I didn't like though.

In the dream sequence, the actress seemed to show little emotion. When she wakes up in a forest, and people in black reaper-like suits take hold of her and drag he away, she doesn't really react. There's no struggle. Also, the creature is seen for too long. I think darker lighting or shorter shots of him would greatly help the film. After seeing it for a few seconds, it becomes easier and easier to tell it is fake. Some shots look noisy (that could just be compression though). Sometimes the acting is very dull, cheesy, and emotionless. Not all of it, but some lines and scenes just seemed fake (mainly the scene when the woman is taking to her therapist). The actor playing the demonic looking character sounded and looked bad. His voice didn't match the way looked, his neck and skin surrounding the mouth was showing. His prosthetic didn't seem to let him move his mouth or face. It looked like a Halloween mask. It's also very slow. I got a bit bored after a while. It dragged, and went on and on without any tension or excitement. In some scenes, including the one when she is talking to the green creature, there is some audio hissing. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be a clear message and goal. Even in "Eraserhead" and "Mulholland Drive", there was a clear message and goal for the main character(s).

Great film! I liked it despite some of the flaws.

I think your lead actress is very good in an understated way.
Overall the pacing felt a bit slow to me, but it's a matter of taste.

Any reason you don't have it listed on IMDB yet?

I threw a little bit in your tip jar...

Thanks for the contribution to the Tip Jar! You are so kind!

As far as IMDB goes, it is listed under my name. Not sure why it's not showing up in your search. I'll have to look into that. I must say I'm not as familiar with how IMDB works as I could be.

Back