• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Please help establish team intro video

If I'm the one who give you the cool, creative, catchy and
memorable ideas then I'm the one Mr. Bigshot is talking
about when he says, "Wow! What an amazing video! I MUST
recruit the man who made it for my own projects!"

I didnt ask for you to give me the idea on a silver platter and own up your intellectual property to me.

I was asking for help establishing it. Brainstorming. Throwing out concepts and having a civilized discussion to refine the scraps of ideas into a full concept.

That's what the purpose of this thread is. Not "give me a concept for free and surrender everything"

Just think of something unique or original, something small, and build on that but maybe you could do one whole long shot introducing everyone or either them doing something. I don't know but that's my advice hope it helps.

I didnt ask for you to give me the idea on a silver platter and own up your intellectual property to me.

I was asking for help establishing it. Brainstorming. Throwing out concepts and having a civilized discussion to refine the scraps of ideas into a full concept.

That's what the purpose of this thread is. Not "give me a concept for free and surrender everything"
Just having a bit of fun with you. I apologize. When you said
that you have no ideas it gave me the impression that you
had no ideas for this project and wanted ideas from others.

Again, I apologize.

A creative director without ideas, eh? Well, creative with an idea is more important. Here's an idea you can't mess up.

A bird without feathers called V.I.P. The whole team gives him a feather and with all of you contributing V.I.P. can fly.

A creative director without ideas, eh? Well, creative with an idea is more important. Here's an idea you can't mess up.

A bird without feathers called V.I.P. The whole team gives him a feather and with all of you contributing V.I.P. can fly.

Could you perhaps elaborate on this.

Without knowing your team I cannot give any ideas to introduce them

Don't worry about the team and their personalities; they are irrelevant. The intro only introduces their name and position. It is not meant to give snippets on their character or anything like that.

In the example above, the lip-dub of a Taylor Swift song is not related to the group in any way. It's just a comedic way to get their names out.

So... you're a creative director without ideas, and you think your team is irrelevant? Ouch.

Don't worry about the team and their personalities; they are irrelevant. The intro only introduces their name and position. It is not meant to give snippets on their character or anything like that.

Whether you ultimately involve the personalities of your people or not is the only thing irrelevant here. That is exactly where you should be starting to brainstorm ideas. Look at their likes/dislikes, etc.. compare and contrast those.

While Rik may have been joking, I'm right in line with what he said, and I'm not joking.. you were given this job, presumably because you're creative.. either do the job, or resign and let someone who wants to do it take it on.

Also, why are you attempting to ply ideas from us, complete strangers, when you have a TEAM to work with? Brainstorm with them.. maybe you really do think they're irrelevant.

Last edited:
So... you're a creative director without ideas, and you think your team is irrelevant?

I've met enough creative directors in my career to know this isn't that uncommon! :lol:

Maybe try something like the opening credits to Snatch where the action from one person's shot leads directly into the next, and the content of each scene essentially establishes something about the nature of the character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgI51QvWxs

I was honestly expecting a pleasant, friendly, session of intelligent discourse where thought trains develop. But it seems a gloomy cloud over this thread is just

37059187.jpg

I've met enough creative directors in my career to know this isn't that uncommon! :lol:

Maybe try something like the opening credits to Snatch where the action from one person's shot leads directly into the next, and the content of each scene essentially establishes something about the nature of the character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgI51QvWxs

Wowzers, this is awesome. This is golden. I like this idea, of object flow from one place to another. Funnily enough I was actually researching it a few hours ago.

Thank you. Of course I will make a carbon copy of the opening sequence, but perhaps change things up. Instead using one consistent object that does not cut from shot-to-shot but instead flows through the entire sequence in a fluid motion while diegetic text introduces team members. We shall see.

Glad to do your job for you! Be sure to pass my name on when Mr. BigShot comes calling...

I was honestly expecting a pleasant, friendly, session of intelligent discourse where thought trains develop.

That could have happened, but your approach was wrong. You could have started off by saying something like "I've been given this task, but I'm struggling with it. I've been brainstorming, here's some ideas I've come up with, but I'm not sure if they could be better or if there's something I just haven't thought of. What do you guys think of these ideas? Is there one that stands out from the others?" It wouldn't have come off so much like you were looking for someone else to do a very important job that you've been tasked with achieving.

The suggestion I posted was literally the first thing that popped into my head when I read what you were looking for. Given ten minutes I could probably come up with a dozen more. With an hour I could probably generate 2-3x as many, evaluate them quickly, and narrow it down to the best half dozen that are achievable with the resources at hand. I think people are just reacting to the fact that you gave little indication of having even put in even that much effort, which seems odd given how important you're making the task out to be.

Yep. This guy is a creative director.

Doesn't have any ideas so wants others to "brainstorm" ideas
for him.

Is hired to make a brief video that introduces the team but says
the team and their personalities are irrelevant.

Gets upset when he is told to do it himself. Thin skin, no sense
of humor.

Sees an idea he likes and says he'll make a carbon copy of it; but
perhaps change things up.

All the makings of most "creative directors" I have met and worked
with. He'll take all the credit and get hired by Mr. Bigshot and then
exploit more people.

Indeed. This thread must be a joke. It's like a director shows up at a writers' meeting bragging about that he can't direct, saying "so please help me".

I tested the waters when I said that I hope that you, Puretania, at least know what to do with an idea, when you're given one, even if you don't have any ideas yourself. And the only thing you keep repeating is that you don't.

And on top of all you're pointing fingers when people don't have enough patience with your extremely surprising shortcoming.

To be fair and clear, Puretania: Is your task in this project to find the best work to copy & steal from, and then promote your team through that?

Hello,

[short story: must read]

I recently got a position as Creative Director for a student group at my college.

I need to make a brief video that introduces our team.

It needs to be cool, creative, catchy, and memorable.

I have no ideas and need help brainstorming them.

Why did YOU get this position?
When did you get this position?
How much time did you already spend on brainstorming?
Why aren't there any ideas?

The club I got a position on is rather prestigious, so this job I have is not to be taken lightly.
There will be a lot of important eyes on this video, from potential clients to the Dean of the school. I need to make it ultra-awesome. When Mr. Bigshot looks at it he must say "wow! what an amazing video! I MUST recruit the man who made it for my own projects!"

I have reasonable VFX skills, so do not shy away from suggesting ideas that are heavily reliant on VFX.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Thank you very much for your help

Why did you take this job?
It seems you are more a VFX guy than a creative director.
(Not only because you say so, but also because your statement that 'personalities are irrelevant' shows you think in visuals only, while content should be part in the creative process.)

Now switch on your creativity and earn the many eyes and Mr Bigshot's call.

IT is a helpfull community, btw.
But a creative director without ideas who wants to be called by Mr Bigshot will cause some ironic reactions ;)

This thread has turned into a trainwreck and it is entirely my fault. I sincerely apologize to all those involved, for wasting your time and making you lose brain cells
with my idiotic banter.

I must admit, however, that my intention was never to have someone do my job for me. It seems that this is what got conveyed due to my poor wording and syntax.

I have been brainstorming with my team. I have been making ideas. I should have shown these, I really should have. At least it would have avoided going in the direction the thread should have gone in.
I could have easily posted those and asked for critique (as ItDonnedOnMe mentioned) but I didn't. I wasn't thinking straight. Mistakes like these accumulated and created the feel of "do my job for me, let me steal your idea, and then be off" which was not my intention nor is my intention nor something I would ever think of doing.

Why did YOU get this position?
IT is a helpfull community, btw.

Not doubting that.

To be fair and clear, Puretania: Is your task in this project to find the best work to copy & steal from, and then promote your team through that?

No. Not at all. Not in the slightest. I may be low on creativity but I am strong with ethics.

Glad to do your job for you! Be sure to pass my name on when Mr. BigShot comes calling...

I will show you the final video. If you feel it has enough of your idea in it, and that your contribution is heavy and visible enough to be a legitimate intellectual stake in the video then let me know and I will credit you appropriately.

Yep. This guy is a creative director.
Sees an idea he likes and says he'll make a carbon copy of it; but
perhaps change things up.

That was sarcasm. To illustrate the earlier points of stealing ideas. Read it in a sarcastic tone and you'll see how it fits.

This is why I don't like text conversations. Everything gets misinterpreted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am requesting this thread be deleted. Let's not waste anymore board space and let other more worthwhile threads populate the index.

Last edited:
will show you the final video. If you feel it has enough of your idea in it, and that your contribution is heavy and visible enough to be a legitimate intellectual stake in the video then let me know and I will credit you appropriately.

That was a joke. I'm actually not interested in getting any calls from Mr. BigShot, that dude is so annoying...

Keep in mind in your future career that writers can easily be replaced and that they therefore can be treated accordingly.

And yes, we writers are experts in knowing people, so we knew everything about you before you said it. But thanks for saying it yourself.

Back