So..whats the cheapest 16mm camera you can get that will record sound?

:huh: the title says it all, I know the proper name for it is crystal-sync or something, but ultimatly you record sounds with a device and then add it on when you're editing(I think)

First of all you probably don't want to try to record sound with a film camera unless you are a retro technology buff; nobody uses optical or magnetic camera sound anymore. That went away with the coming of video. Most modern film productions uses double system sound, where audio is recorded to a separate audio recorder such as a DAT, Nagra, or computer. If you've seen any "making of" videos, you recall the man with the slate saying "scene 1, take 1" and clapping the slate, providing a simple and reliably way for film editors to synchronize audio to image in the editing room. It worked in 1929, and it still works today.

crystal sync...

Reg said:
:huh: the title says it all, I know the proper name for it is crystal-sync or something, but ultimatly you record sounds with a device and then add it on when you're editing(I think)
Right... You apparently need a 16mm camera that has crystal sync. Crystal sync just means that the camera has a crystal controlled motor that makes the 16mm camera run at a constant speed. This is so that you can record sound at the same time that you're shooting and then later sync up the sound to film.

As far as what's the cheapest...

There is really no answer to that... It's all about what you can find at a price you can afford... Probably the very cheapest camera with built in crystal sync would be a Bolex...

You can sometimes find crystal sync cameras on eBay pretty cheap...

You need to figure out what you want to shoot and how much money you have... For instance, I have a crystal sync Bolex EBM that creates amazing pictures but it's a pain in the ass to work with sometimes compared to other cameras...

Really depends on your budget and what you are shooting and how you want to shoot it...

filmy

audadvnc said:
First of all you probably don't want to try to record sound with a film camera unless you are a retro technology buff; nobody uses optical or magnetic camera sound anymore. That went away with the coming of video. Most modern film productions uses double system sound, where audio is recorded to a separate audio recorder such as a DAT, Nagra, or computer. If you've seen any "making of" videos, you recall the man with the slate saying "scene 1, take 1" and clapping the slate, providing a simple and reliably way for film editors to synchronize audio to image in the editing room. It worked in 1929, and it still works today.

Can I buy one of those online?

Reg, you're talking about buying a slate? Sure, they start about $50, and go up into the thousands for timecode generating slates.

All 35mm film and most 16mm US film intended for projection or video is shot at 24fps ever since the dawn of sync sound. Europe shoots 16mm at 25fps to more easily transfer to PAL video.

Here's some clappers: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...rch&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=clapper&image.x=0&image.y=0

FYI if you are planning to telecine and edit on your comp, of course it would be easiest to sync with a crystal-sync'd camera. hey, match it up and it works, right (well after you IVTC it). Another option is if you have a decent NLE you can chop up the sound track into a million pieces if you want and as long as its clean sound, you can adjust for any desync that a spring wound or motor (non-sync) camera might have. My K-3 drifts about 1.5% or so. I have successfully done a sync demo, recorded sound with a DV camera I have, and matched it in post. For features of course you'd want to quit editing for life if you had to go this route. But if you have a 3 minute or 5 minute short with only a minute or so of dialogue I think it would be entirely possible to sync in post. But the key will be two fold: 1) you need to blimp the K3 with a heavy jacket or something. 2) Use a boom to get clean dialogue. Anyway, its a thought.

Back