Which shotgun mic to rent?

I may need to rent a shotgun mic for a short film. On my feature, my post prod sound mixed cringed when I told him we used the NTG-3, so I want to avoid that this time.

Which mic on this list is the best? $$ ins't the issue, I just want the best and clearest sound for both indoor and outdoor scenes. I may have a boom pole already, but I think it rattles a bit so I might be interested in renting a package, not sure yet.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-23%20at%206.45.10%20PM.png

If there's one lesson that needs to be learned, at the indie level it's 80% skill and 20% gear. A different shotgun mic is not going to improve your sound more than a skilled boom-op will.

BTW, why should your post prod guy object to an NTG-3? Many very prominent PSMs and boom-ops call it the "poor mans -416" (Sennhieser MKH-416) and have one in their kit. Which also answers your "which is best on this list" question.

BTW, for the sonically untamed real residence indoor locations used in many indie films a hypercardioid mic may be a mic better choice. (The ME64-K6 on your list is a cardioid, although not a hypercardioid, but will do okay.)

If there's one lesson that needs to be learned, at the indie level it's 80% skill and 20% gear. A different shotgun mic is not going to improve your sound more than a skilled boom-op will.

BTW, why should your post prod guy object to an NTG-3? Many very prominent PSMs and boom-ops call it the "poor mans -416" (Sennhieser MKH-416) and have one in their kit. Which also answers your "which is best on this list" question.

BTW, for the sonically untamed real residence indoor locations used in many indie films a hypercardioid mic may be a mic better choice. (The ME64-K6 on your list is a cardioid, although not a hypercardioid, but will do okay.)

Thanks. May I ask what exactly is the reason a non cardioid mic isn't ideal for indoor sound?

May I ask what exactly is the reason a non cardioid mic isn't ideal for indoor sound?

Because most indie types do not have the budget or skills to use a shotgun mic indoors. Shotgun (lobar) mics have a very narrow polar pattern, so unless the are very precisely aimed you will pick up more room echo than actual dialog. Most indie productions lack the funding to properly prep locations sonically, or to hire a competent production sound person (who could use a shotgun mic indoors and get good production dialog), so a hypercardioid is recommended to low/no/mini/micro budget indie filmmakers - at least they will get marginally better production sound.

I've got to completely agree with everything Alcove has said so far. While there are better mics out there, the NTG-3 is easily capable of professional results and even some top pros use them for certain tasks. The NTG-3 would already be at the top of your list of mics or very slightly below the 416. There are 2 big concerns here:

1. As Alcove said; it's not the mic, it's how it's being used. The locations/acoustic treatment of the locations and the skill with which it's being used. IE. A better prod sound mixer/boom op.

2. There can be occasions when a mic better than an NTG-3 is called for but the only scenarios I can think of would be stepping up from professional low budget standards to the high budget pro sectors. At the no/lo budget indie level the NTG-3 is perfectly adequate and the fact your post mixer seems to think that the solution (to whatever problems exist in the production sound) is a better mic, is really an indictment of your post mixer! If this is a paid position, I would think about hiring a different post mixer, preferably one who know what they're talking about!

G

Although I'd disagree on the comment about skill / gear. Moving up from a DR-100 to a Foster FR2-le with a little mixer makes it more difficult for me or whoever is on boom-swinging duties to scr@w it up.

The SNR gives me significantly more scope and as I bought all the gear used, the price difference is minimal.

And another vote for the NTG-3 provided you bring a few blankets indoors or fill the room up with people.

Back