Wireless Monitoring Conundrums

Hey you guys!

So we're in pre-prod for a film we're doing this fall, and I was working out plans for how to have the gear set up. Everything else seems all figured out, except for this one bit: monitoring the footage.

We've two rigged cameras for the film, and the director was wondering if there was a way he could monitor the footage from both cameras wirelessly within our teeny budget.

We have a spare Lilliput FA1011 10" so I figured I could possibly set that up for her. Now being that there's one monitor to go for two cameras, does anyone know of a way to monitor them both on the same monitor, within a budget of 600~700 dollars?

The instinct I thought I could run with was using the Nyrius Aries Prime. With two of those, I could plug the transmitters into the HDMI outs, and then have the receivers go into an HDMI switch, which could plug into the director's monitor. It seemed like the most straight forward way of doing it.

My concerns were that:

1. being that there would be two Nyrius Primes in close proximity, we might be looking at interference.

2. Even without interference, providing battery power for so many components comes out to a lot of money. We're looking at 10 hour shoot days. The transmitters are inexpensive to power with simple 5v 16000mAh battery packs. However, at the other end, there is a monitor, two recievers and an HDMI switch, which together draw about 35W. Even a 150Wh V-Mount battery won't last more than 4-5 hours, and buying two of those to have this thing running brings it all to about $1000 for the whole setup.

So if anyone has any other suggestions, it'd be awesome. I spent tons of time doing research to see if I could come up with a system that had two transmitters for one reciever, because that'd solve a bunch of the issues for me; I wont have to worry about interference too much since it'd natively be designed to deal with two feeds, plus not having to power two recievers, and then an HDMI Switch would help with the power-is-expensive problem.

Anyone know/use any such devices, or think there's another way we could do it for so little money? It'd really help the production if the director didn't have to worry about plugging in long HDMI cables into our cameras that would possibly restrict movement.

Cheers!

How far away is your director going to be from the action. If it's in the same room or next room, you can always look into buying a 50ft hdmi cable. I've used both the nyrius and the 50ft cable. I liked them both. If the people on set are aware that a cable or two are going to be moving around with the cameraman/woman, no one's going to trip over anything.

When using the cable, make sure it's attached in such a way, that if there is a pull on the cable, the pressure is not applied on the camera body or the tv, but on something else to which the cable is attached.

Thanks! I don't think the director is going to be too far off ever, and that really does seem like such a simple idea. I think I just got too deep into having it be wireless that I didn't even think of a simple long hdmi cable. I'll make sure it's attached to protect the peripherals. Thanks! =)

Back