Firearms Legal Questions for Action Films

So i have a few films i want to shoot that involve the use of firearms. I do not want to use airsoft guns because lets face it they look fake, but i also do not want to use blank firing firearms because i know that blanks can be harmful and or cause death. Plus they are more expensive. Instead what i want to do is use real firearms that are rendered non-functional (which is basically the same as a firearm that uses blanks except without the blanks).
My question is are there laws that protect filmmakers when it comes to the use of using real non functional firearms (basically replicas)? I ask because i know the gun laws of my state (Texas) and know that having a handgun in public that is not concealed is illegal period. Also I know that you may open carry a long gun (rifles, shotguns) but may not brandish them in a way that causes alarm. But its a freakin action movie so every alarm is going to be going off so how do i remedy this? How can i have awesome gun fights in the middle of a street without getting the cops called on me? Or worse a swat team thats locked and loaded? I know i definitely would want to give the local police a heads up before filming on location, but i also know if someone calls 911 on us the police are legally obligated to go check out the call. Any help would be much appreciated especially info on Texas especially.

Get an armorer to provide and handle the replicas, get the necessary permits and insurance to shut down a street for a shoot, get some police on site (may be required as part of the permit process anyway). People do it all the time. Of course it's not cheap...

If you can't swing that then just don't do it, period. I'm lucky to be here after being in a similar situation - and that was 20 years ago when the cops were a little less trigger-happy. I'd never use prop guns (of any type) in public without the proper permissions. And just 'giving the local cops the heads up' probably isn't going to cut it - they're likely to tell you you can't do it without the proper resources.

Last edited:
How can i have awesome gun fights in the middle of a street without getting the cops called on me? Or worse a swat team thats locked and loaded? I know i definitely would want to give the local police a heads up before filming on location, but i also know if someone calls 911 on us the police are legally obligated to go check out the call. Any help would be much appreciated especially info on Texas especially.

You are correct; give the local police a heads up. Tell them when and
where you will be making your film, how many people will be there
and exactly what you will be doing. Then notify all the local residences
and all the local businesses. In most cities in Texas you will need a
permit for this. Contact your local film commission for specific local
rules. IDOM is correct; you will likely need police on scene and insurance.
You will likely need posted notification. Your concern in Texas (and I
have made films in Texas) would be a concerned citizen with a gun
seeing your actors running with guns and drawing his weapon.

The laws will vary from area to area so check with your local police.

Back