Getting Actors From Overseas?

Hello, I hope I posted this in the right section as it is my first post. I apologize if I didn't.

I am currently casting for my first feature film. I posted a casting call and I have an actress interested in being in the film. She lives in the UK, and the film will shoot in California U.S. I told her we are very low budget and cannot afford to fly anyone, but that her demo reel impressed me and I would like to work with her in the future when we work with bigger budgets. She said she is interested in the project regardless and she could probably cover her own expenses. She does have a lot of questions and asked to see my previous work (which I gladly showed her). And she still wants to be involved.

The goal of my film is to create something VERY EPIC. I want to create a big film and then turn around and tell people we made it with a DSLR camera and a small laptop (which is what we will use). I am very proud of my work as a low budget filmmaker. When someone sees my previous work the first thing they usually ask is "How did you do that?"

I know I am not a so called "professional" in the typical sense of filmmaking as I shoot very guerilla style, but none of that is obvious in the final product.

My question is this: If the actress really wants to be in the film for low pay and she covers her own flight, is it a good idea to hire her? Also why would an actress want to fly all the way overseas just for a film where they will be paid minimum an hour? She is actually LOSING money by being in the film (I obviously believe in my projects very much, but they are not me). Is this kind of thing heard of? Also, have any other filmmakers gone through something like this? Would my guerilla-style of filmmaking throw her off? I appreciate any response. Thanks.

Welcome to indietalk.

My question is this: If the actress really wants to be in the film for low pay and she covers her own flight, is it a good idea to hire her?
Yes, it's a good idea to hire her.

Also why would an actress want to fly all the way overseas just for a film where they will be paid minimum an hour? She is actually LOSING money by being in the film (I obviously believe in my projects very much, but they are not me). Is this kind of thing heard of? Also, have any other filmmakers gone through something like this?
The only person who can answer "why" is the actor. You have been
upfront with her about how much you are paying so she knows she
will lose money. I can think of a few reasons but my speculation won't
really matter.

Yes, this kind of thing is heard of. Many other filmmakers have gone
through this - you are not alone.
Would my guerilla-style of filmmaking throw her off?
I suspect the only person who can answer this is the actor. As you
answer her many questions make sure you are upfront with her about
your filmmaking style. She might really love the experience.

If the actress really wants to be in the film for low pay and she covers her own flight, is it a good idea to hire her?

It's really a judgement call. I was production managing a web series where one of the actors was from about 1000km away. No sweat, that's only a local flight... but she was in LA at the time. I assumed she would need to be replaced (she was needed 2 days, but 4 days in between) but she told me she'd fly in, fly out and then fly back in for an unpaid gig.

and she did it. She had some discount with the airlines where she got something like 90% off her flights, so the most expensive part of her trip was the taxi trip.

There's been others who had to drive 30 mins and that was too far for them. That's why it's a judgement call. Whether you'll believe they'll turn up.

I wouldn't do it. Worrying about her is an added headache that you don't need. If anything at all goes wrong with your production, such as unexpected delays, etc, you will feel responsible for her at very least, and may even face lawsuits. In California actors are falling off the trees. You can do local hires and avoid all the hassles...just my two cents worth.

1. You need to exude confidence.

2. Yes, work with her. If you are confident, she will be.

3. What I mean by this is, if YOU are confident in your own project then you need to understand why others are. No more "Why are you interested in this small budget crap thing?" from you, okay? Unless it IS crap then don't waste her time.

:D

Thank you all for your responses and for being very welcoming. Yes, I will show more confidence in regards to my films. I have sent her a message with more information about the film and if she has any other questions. If she doesn't get back to me before friday, then I would have to give the role to someone else.

Back