Should I submit this short to festivals?

My gf showed a short film I made a few years ago, to a couple of friends of hers, as well as a couple of my friends and they were saying that I should submit it to some film festivals. If I choose some festivals here and there, it will cost some money which I am okay with, as long as the film is worth it.

I didn't think it was worth it, but they say it is, and that it's good. But do you think it's worth submitting?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7t5XZSz_oo&t=184s

Thank you for any honest advice and input. I really appreciate it. If it is worth the money, then I will. What do you think?

It does not matter if your film is good or bad, even if you don't make I through the rounds some festivals will offer feedback which is valuable which can really help you improve. Do some research on the film festival before submitting. Good Luck :D

Here's what I think, Ryan: you need to stop putting things off, literally for years, because you aren't willing to screw something up.

Seriously, dude, how long have you spent here and on other forums asking questions about whether you're good enough, whether such-and-such script idea works or makes sense, whether that one short film you made is worth floating to festivals? Do something. Anything. If it works, great! If you mess it up, there's really no better way to learn how to make it better next time.

The two cetntral themes to your countless posts here are lack of confidence and lack of initiative (and those two things are deeply intertwined).

Is your short film perfect? No, but it's something you saw through to completion. Float it around. It ain't gettin' into Sundance, but perhaps some local or regional festivals would screen it. It'll work or it won't, but you won't know until you try. It's only worth the money if it's worth it to you to take the chance.

And don't be afraid of it failing.

Ah-HA! Finally, I'm not the only person on IT to have seen this movie. I saw it three years ago, and there have been times when I felt like that crazy old coot who saw a sasquatch but nobody believes him. I've even seen some raw footage!

H44, I'm more concerned with the underlying theme of the movie than anything else. Should you have the opportunity to get it screened in front of a live audience, I think you'll get some interesting reactions.

Ah-HA! Finally, I'm not the only person on IT to have seen this movie. I saw it three years ago, and there have been times when I felt like that crazy old coot who saw a sasquatch but nobody believes him. I've even seen some raw footage!

I also saw this many moons ago.

Just remember H44, we were fans before you were famous!

Okay thanks, as long as it's worth it. I mean if it costs say $1000 to send to a few festivals as a whole, I thought maybe that money could be put to better filmmaking use maybe. But if the short is good enough that it's worth it, than I will do it.

The master copy of the movie however, does it have seperate audio and effects track and the mix is all one stereo track. As long as festivals are okay with that.

One of these days you're going to have to do something without asking the internet what they would do.

Maybe that day can be today.

My gf showed a short film I made a few years ago, to a couple of friends of hers, as well as a couple of my friends and they were saying that I should submit it to some film festivals. If I choose some festivals here and there, it will cost some money which I am okay with, as long as the film is worth it.

I didn't think it was worth it, but they say it is, and that it's good. But do you think it's worth submitting?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7t5XZSz_oo&t=184s

Thank you for any honest advice and input. I really appreciate it. If it is worth the money, then I will. What do you think?

If you gave your all into making a short film, I think it's always worth submitting it to film festivals. As for it being festival-worthy (being selected for a screening), you won't know unless you send it and let the programmers decide for themselves.

Okay thanks. I can do that. The film is all one stereo sound mix though, without the option of breaking the dialogue, sound FX, and music tracks apart. It's all one stereo track. Will that be a problem for most film festivals?

Okay thanks. I can do that. The film is all one stereo sound mix though, without the option of breaking the dialogue, sound FX, and music tracks apart. It's all one stereo track. Will that be a problem for most film festivals?

Read the submission guidelines of the festivals.
We can't answer that for you.
You really need to learn to start doing things before you have all the guarantees that it will be a success.
My 5 year old niece has a more exploring spirit than you. She asks many questions, yes, but she is not afraid to think and explore things by herself.

it's good

H44, it's good to see you're still slowly plugging away. Is this your first completed film? If so, well done. Hope this will give you some confidence to trudge on and form your own techniques and develop your own style without the need seek approval of IT forum dwellers.

Good luck in your festival run.

2 months ago I pointed you to this facebook group for Saskatchewan Filmmakers:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/844023478999862/

It takes 1 minute to join the group. After approval you can look for people to work with.
But: once you joined them, you can see the messages that are being posted there.
Out of curiousity I visited the group today and I discovered 2 things:
1) You haven't joined the group
2) 3 weeks ago a new local monthly short film fest that is free to submit your short to has been announced. (You might have missed that news, because you haven't found the time yet to spend 1 minuted to click 'join'.)

Stop sabotaging yourself.

Back