• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Davinci Resolve COLOR CORRECTION TEST!

Hey everyone,
So basically this is a test of Davinci resolve with 60D footage and Technicolor Cinestyle flat image.
WATCH IN HD its only 38 seconds! :yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm8zr7Xj8eM

This was done in around 15-30 minutes just messing around and this would have taken at least 1-2 hours in premiere or any other editor because although it is basic color correction this tracker and functions are literally real time! Any way here is a screen cap of the NODES I used and as you can see I barely used any just to get this.
dfghj.png

But here is a description of what is in each NODE:
1. There was a LUT applied to this to correct Cinestyle footage and make it Standard.
2. Put a vignette around the main actor and soften it out. Bet you didn't notice that :P
3. I qualified the sky and motion tracked it bringing out the blue to simulate a very nice day because as you can see the sky wasn't very blue in Hawaii that day..
4. Qualified and motion tracked the clouds adding blur to them to blend with the sky more and get rid of unnecessary pixelation from qualifying the sky.
5. NOW Try do this in premiere and after EFFECTS Well I qualified my face as you can see and motion tracked it so that I can give the actor a tan because the shoot a couple weeks before that was on the beach and I was more tan. As you can see in the video it looks very nice and was so easy to do when as in another program the background mask would change color if you didn't make it correctly and you would have to do lame key frames XD
6. Last but not least I was shooting in Golden Hour and it so happens the shot before this was more warm and I just brought up the highlights a tiny bit to add some warmth in the scene to match the others.

Well that is Davinci Reslove and a example of what can be done 5x faster than other software. Just letting you know this is free and you do need too buy quite a bit of stuff to get it running so I put my computer through a make over but it works great and Not denoting other software just wanted to say I will be using this to color and grade the film I just finished Directing and Acting in so should save lots of time in POST! WEEEEEE

:cheers:

I think you crushed the blacks a little much and lost some detail. But I like the skin tones!

Actually I was going to post this but I thought most of you would catch it at
"There was a LUT applied to this to correct Cinestyle footage and make it Standard."
But basically that is the settings that comes rom the technicolor cinestyle LUT.
One of my pet peevs is actually crushing the blacks haha but in Davinci Resolve all I got to do is lihten that or make my own LUT. But this was just a quick test since I just got the program.
I must say though good job at spoting that because I was actually gonna leave it like that if no one would notice :)
I guess it's tme to make my own LUT and not be lazy lol XD
Anyway thanks for your input and yea Davinci works wonder with skintones haha!

Okay, so before everyone says ohh lol blacks so crushed. I grade darker for example work because most kids have a bright uncalibrated monitor on default so this would actually appear to them to have perfect blacks... When I am broadcasting for TV I ALWAYS CC/CG on a correct calibrated monitor and never crush the blacks.. Also on some of your monitors that may be calibrated and the blacks are still crushed thats because I did this on my macbook with screen brightness at 100% and it does not look crushed at all. Like I said this wasn't an example of crushed blacks and no Im not stupid enough to crush blacks in final product but think of this as an example of what you can do with motion tracking and all the other features in Davinci Resolve to make your life easier. Thats what I wanted to share lol not "how the blacks are so crushed" XD

Its a good go at it but the sky is way too saturated and overexposed for my liking. I know you want to enhance the detail in the sky with a secondary CC but its defeating one of the main points of CC to point the eyes in the right direction. saturating the sky compared to everything else draws my eye to it not the characters.

Its a good go at it but the sky is way too saturated and overexposed for my liking. I know you want to enhance the detail in the sky with a secondary CC but its defeating one of the main points of CC to point the eyes in the right direction. saturating the sky compared to everything else draws my eye to it not the characters.

That's a very good point, again it's not the real CC/CG just too see what Resolve is capable of haha. But definitely good point man! It could use a little toning down and maybe a stronger vignette on the main actor.

Back