Canon XL

Hey everyone, its been awhile since I have been on here. Anyway so football is coming up soon and so is Doritos superbowl contest. And this year I am going to do it again. And this time I wont have help from my friend who has the camera. So I decided to do this myself. And I have been looking at cameras. I wanted to know your opinions on the Canon XL. I heard its really good. And I could prolly get one on craigslist or ebay for around 500.

Well he obviously doesn't want to use a DSLR. So let's stop suggesting that?

How about something like a Canon HV20/30? I hear those used to be very popular..and they shoot HD and should be pretty cheap by now!

READ the whole thread! We opened his eyes more to the possibility of using a DSLR and btw he said earlier he does nit want to shoot with a little DSLR what makes you think he'd want to shoot with something smaller? But I know I know you are just trying to help... Just saying it would be more help have all the facts first.

Well he obviously doesn't want to use a DSLR. So let's stop suggesting that?

How about something like a Canon HV20/30? I hear those used to be very popular..and they shoot HD and should be pretty cheap by now!

Just trying to help him in both quality and money. Earlier he said he didn't want to film on it because it's small. And he said he wanted professional quality... XL series is not the way to go.

That really depends, largely on your budget but also on your skills/experience.

If you're inexperienced your images are going to look amateur whether shot on an Alexa, Epic, XL2, or DSLR.

im inexoerienced with filming with a camera. But setting up each scene I can do. My budget would be around 350. And if friends chip in then budget would increase. Should I get actors or friends? I know actors would be better but some cost. The last two years I got actors to do it for free and if we won they got paid.

Hm.

Firstly, always get actors. Friends aren't actors and everyone can tell. By setting up each scene do you mean the production design or the lighting..?

When you say Superbowl commercial, do you mean one of the competitions for the superbowl? If so, I'd honestly stick with a DSLR.

If not, and you're planning on buying airtime - how do you have that kind of budget to buy airtime, and not the budget to rent a camera, pay actors, hire a DP etc.

You're probably better off paying that $350 to a local DP who can come and shoot it fory ou.

No this is Doritos superbowl contest. The top finalist get aired at the superbowl. I mean I know a DP but he is booked. I think I could film it. I will look into UC (university of Cincinnati) theatre and see if my friend knows anyone in there. If not I will try my best to get actors.

Okay I read the whole thread and I change my mind. A DSLR or a small camcorder would be better.

Don't rent expensive equipment if you don't know how to use it.

Last year's Dorito's commercial had a budget of......................$20. He shot it with a consumer camera with a dog in his backyard. It goes to show you should stop caring so much about the equipment and focus on the idea/theme/story.

Honestly, you could shoot the Dorito's ad on your iPhone and have as much of a chance as anyone else.

With the comp, it's about the idea and story behind it - it doesn't matter if you shoot on Alexa or Epic, if someone else's story is better they'll win. If Doritos have minimum specs, they'll be outlined somewhere in the comp ts&cs, btu I can tell you the minimum specs won't be 'renting an expensive camera'

Put the money you have into Production Design.

Back