Atmos Coming to a Theater Near You?

I'm so pleased...and hopeful.

After all the discussion about Atmos in the Hobbit Thread and others, back in October I emailed the local Cineplex (Marcus) that I usually patronize asking them if they had any plans to roll out Atmos in their theaters. They very kindly replied to my query, but told me, no, they had no commitments with Dolby Atmos installation.

But, lo and behold, they played an educational/promotional trailer about Atmos among the other trailers when I went to The Secret Life of Walter Mitty the other day.

That has to mean they're at least toying with installing Atmos.

I'm so pleased, if that's the case.

Hey, try emailing the cinema you attend. Don't know that it does any good. But at the very least, hopefully it lets them know that someone knows about it and wants it.

Let's let them know we want it! =)

Last edited:
Is it going to add another two bux to my ticket price? :hmm:

At one of the Arclight theatres here in Los Angeles they installed Atmos in some of the "houses" and the ticket prices are the same. They just save them for the big new releases usually.

But then again tickets at the Arclight are $16 so it's already more expensive than most other theatres.

In Australia there is one, ONE Atmos enabled theatre and they're only playing the 2d version of THe Hobbit, which is frustrating as my friends and I were keen to go on the 3 hours trip to see 3d HFR Atmos but alas we had to settle for IMAX HFR :P

In Australia there is one, ONE Atmos enabled theatre and they're only playing the 2d version of THe Hobbit, which is frustrating as my friends and I were keen to go on the 3 hours trip to see 3d HFR Atmos but alas we had to settle for IMAX HFR :P

Eh I'd probably be happier with 2D Hobbit anyway ;) I'm hoping I can catch an HFR session this year (there seems to be less sessions possibly due to last years lukewarm reception).

I watched it in digital (Hoyts) IMAX last year and was pretty disappointed in the image quality, due (I believe) to the quality loss of 3D 2K on such a big screen.

I think I'd rather watch it in 2d on a 4k screen or on IMAX film..

Might make the trip to Geelong to get Atmos sound though

Atmos is great. It is also very pricey to create Atmos audio post/rerecording facilities and to then update theaters to accommodate an Atmos system. (There are only six [6] Atmos equipped theaters in the NY Tri-State area.)

It's going to be a while before there are a lot of Atmos equipped theaters. Remember, it took quite a while for them to adopt surround sound.

Eh I'd probably be happier with 2D Hobbit anyway ;) I'm hoping I can catch an HFR session this year (there seems to be less sessions possibly due to last years lukewarm reception).

I watched it in digital (Hoyts) IMAX last year and was pretty disappointed in the image quality, due (I believe) to the quality loss of 3D 2K on such a big screen.

I think I'd rather watch it in 2d on a 4k screen or on IMAX film..

Might make the trip to Geelong to get Atmos sound though

Sorry to take away from Atmos briefly..

The issue here is that 2d doesn't have the hfr version

The issue here is that 2d doesn't have the hfr version

Haven't seen HFR yet, so can't pass judgement on whether it's worth it.

Technically the DCP spec supports 48fps @ 2k (in 2D), but the purpose of it was to negate some of the issues surrounding 3D, so it would seem pointless to show a 2D 48fps version.

I might do the trip to Geelong to see an Atmos 2D (and assumedly, 4K) session, do an IMAX 3D presentation at the film (proper ;)) IMAX and then a 3D HFR at the local cinema...

Assuming it's a good film, anyway ;)

Also, I'd assume the budget for the renovation of the cinema to upgrade the projection for the larger screen, and the Dolby Atmos surround didn't extend to two projectors, which is probably why they're not showing 3D, at least fpr now.

Last edited:
Back