• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's the best free video editing program? One that can export the video.

I've downloaded all sorts of programs, all the free ones just suck, you can't cut the scenes, and all the good ones you need to download the pro version in order to export the project into a video, it's really annoying. Is there a good free one that actually works that lets you export it to a video? Thanks.

Some people write software in their spare time as a hobby. There are a few open source softwares that had only one developer. Anim8or and Natron come to mind (Although Natron now has 3 full time employers I believe).

They are actually really good too. Just wanted to get it out there that there is some really good free software around. And that free doesn't equal lack of quality.

I do believe that some people think that because many say "If you are professional you should invest in commercial software."

I'm in that same boat. Open source has come a long way! But those companies make money, they just make it in different ways. They are smart. Google and Word Press paved the way. The Chrome browser is based on the open sourced Chromium. Opera used to be a paid browser. Now, no one would think to pay for a browser! Word Press makes money on hosting the OS software, etc. It's like saying, this hot sauce is free, and we sell ice cream. :D But yes, "freeware" has always had a bad name. Bugs, spyware, no money for upkeep, projects dropped. Etc.

I use Blender's VSE as well. I'm very interested to know what that plug-in is that you were referring to if you don't mind. Also, the VSE doesn't have real-time view on the render preview. Do you usually have a workaround for that or does it not bother you? I'm thinking of switching to Shotcut for editing because of that reason.

The plug-in I was referring to, is actually a Python script which you can find on this github page:

https://github.com/mikeycal/the-video-editors-render-script-for-blender/blob/master/README.md

Check out Mikeycal Meyers YouTube channel for an 11 min. tutorial:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rgwP5L1bICk

To answer your last question: there is a real-time render preview in Blender (though I don't use it). And as far as the slow render times are concerned: I let my projects render overnight, so I really don't need a plug-in to help me speed up rendering. But for those who need it, this might come in handy.

Last edited:
Among the ones that u need to pay for, which software is the best one or most commonly used?

Depends in what industry. YouTubers and a lot of independents use Premiere. Serious filmmakers and Hollywood movies use Avid (there's a free version too).

Sure there are always exceptions, but this is generally what you see right now.

Back