• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best Screenwriting Books

Hoping this is the right place for this type of question...

Can people please give me some suggestions/recommendations as to helpful screenwriting books out there? I am a beginning writer and not necessarily completely new to the developmental process of screenplay writing but am eager to get different perspectives on the craft. Right now I have been closely using Syd Field's Screenplay writing workshop book.

Again any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

I am a beginning writer and not necessarily completely new to the developmental process of screenplay writing but am eager to get different perspectives on the craft.
Is the Syd Field book the only one you have read so far? Since you
are not completely new then maybe you can tell us the books you
HAVE read. I'd hate to offer you my recommendations only to have
you tell me you've read them.

I have been delving more and more into reading scripts online which is good advice, thank you.

I have only gotten my hands to date on Syd Field's workshop book and an American Film Institute one that I loved but now am having trouble finding it. Both emphasized structure but the AFI one was much more flexible.

Long story short, screen writing books beyond this would be appreciated.

Do I understand correctly; you are looking for books that offer a
different perspective than Field? Something that offers a more
flexible take on structure? Have you heard of "Save The Cat"? It's
much more ridged structure-wise than Field so that may not be
the one for you. I, personally, hate it but I know many writers who
love it.

I found "Making a Good Script Great" to be very helpful. But it, too,
holds strong to a less than flexible structure.

My own is the best !! PM me and I will send you a link. As of now I have 140 pages of the 800 page, two volume book up for reading.

For a few reasons I have decided not to publish it, so just giving it away!

Some strong books in no particular order include:

Creating Unforgettable Characters ~ Linda Seger
Making a Good Script Great ~ Linda Seger
The Screenwriter’s Bible ~ David Trottier
The Secrets of Action Screenwriting ~ William C. Martell
Your Screenplay Sucks: 100 Ways to Make it Great ~ William M. Akers

If you can only start with one, start with Akers. Akers' book is concentrated information that covers a lot of ground in a short space of time -- much of it craft smarts you won't find in other screenwriting books.

I'm not a fan of Field or Save the Cat but mileage varies.

Good luck.

The Anatomy of Story by John Truby. I like it cause it concentrates less on plot structure and more about story and character themes, which seems to be helping me. Why do you hate Save the Cat directorik?

Currently reading 'Wired For Story' by Lisa Cron. It's mostly written for novel writers, but it also has a lot of references to films and other story teling mediums, where the same rules apply. Much recommended.

Back