"making" frostbite?

Hey all, quick question- for my upcoming movie we need to make it look like one of my characters hands have been severely frostbitten- how should i do this?

:huh::huh::huh:

bad/recent frostbite looks a lot like bruising, with some blistering. You should not have any problem doing this with makeup. Essentially, the hand would look like it had been bruised around all the joints and finger tips. There would be blistering near the worst of it. The wikipedia has a nice picture of severe frostbite.

Doug

A little liquid latex and tissue paper will give you the peeled skin.
Black, red, yellow and blue make-up from Ben Nye, Mehron or Kryolan.

Do a quick google search for "frostbite" and then click "images"... you'll get a ton of examples... looks mainly like the fingertips would be blackened, so play around with Sharpies (markers) and Soot (fire ashes) if you're looking for simple and cheap. Or throw your actor in a meatlocker for a few days (or until he eats his way out) and tell him it's "one of those 'method' things"....

Remember to try the easy way first and think 'outside the box."

What about some of your mom/sister/girlfriend's makeup and some rubber cement? Who knows if it will work, but it might not cost more that $5 dollars....

-- spinner :cool:

Fake skin is made with liquid latex. As I mentioned, using a little
tissue paper adds to the ragged, torn look you want. It takes
some experimentation. Like anything else, realistic make-up
efx takes some skill and skill is learned.

Lakewood isn't too far from Cleveland. Give Arnold Goldman of
Monster Makers" a call. I know he used to sell products. You can
get make-up on line if there are no stores near you.

You have an excellent point, Spinner. When I was a kid, long befor
there was an entire industry of special make-up supplies I used
my mom's make up to scare the crap out of her and my sister. It's
wqht started my long career in make-up efx.

Last edited:
Back