What is this person called?

I'm looking for a role I don't know what it would be called in show biz. Someone who helps handle the non-fundraising business side of film and TV production. The actual nuts and bolts of contracting and the essential un-fun "dirty work" nobody else wants to do.

I know these people are a dime a dozen in Los Angeles, but my business connections are in the US Pacific Northwest.

I want to say line producer, but that's probably not it.

I'm looking for a role I don't know what it would be called in show biz. Someone who helps handle the non-fundraising business side of film and TV production. The actual nuts and bolts of contracting and the essential un-fun "dirty work" nobody else wants to do.

I know these people are a dime a dozen in Los Angeles, but my business connections are in the US Pacific Northwest.

I want to say line producer, but that's probably not it.
I've been a line producer. I love it. It's not "un-fun" at all and it's
not dirty work. It's very rewarding and essential.

Perhaps you mean the Production Manager or the Producer or
the Associate Producer.

And no, we are not a dime a dozen....

Touche, Directork about the dime a dozen bit.

I think you might be right about the production manager. The top "below-the-line" position. What we used to call a Master Chief in the Navy.

Unit production manager (UPM) is the Directors Guild of America–approved title for the top below-the-line staff position responsible for the administration of a feature film or TV production. Alternate titles for this role on non-DGA signatory productions are production manager or production supervisor. He or she works closely with the project's line producer. It is not uncommon for the line producer to function as UPM as well.

Can I ask what the typical duties of a line producer are?

They prepare the budget and are responsible for keeping to the
budget during production. They often hire the department heads
and then oversee the personnel the UPM brings on. They are
responsible for the day-to-day business of the production.

Line producers are a special breed. They attempt to adhere to strict business and legal protocols while trying to keep a bunch of artists happy. The good ones work forever.

The rest occupy rubber rooms.

Padded-cell-117917885635_xlarge.jpeg

Back