is it true theres no copyright license need for music over 75 yrs old?

I think you confusing a composer, who writes music, with a musician who plays/performs music. Most composers have some level of competence playing an instrument and rarely a composer will also be an expert musician but no one, not even a professional musician can play all the instruments in a orchestra competently.

No we're not. A passable recording of a symphony can be made by a MIDI programmer/audio engineer, with no musicians involved. Most aspiring composers act as a MIDI programmer/audio engineer and some of them could create such a recording, as I've already mentioned.

No, that's not what you've been talking about! You've been talking about using a symphony which was composed over 75 years ago. George Lucas has never, as far as I know, used an existing symphony, he commissions a composer (usually John Williams) to write original music.

G
stop being so goddamned technical you type a minds are so blind haha. we are talking about having to re record it period. So for a classical piece. you need at least a small symphony if you couldnt find a recorded version . thats all. it was an analogy.

So you could create beethovens 9th with protools.?? ya maybe but...

I understand what you're saying.

i wish you guys would listen to what you say. I've spoken to composers who do scores and play many instruments and can play pieces on their own recorded individual. You guys are the ones who said hire someone to do it. But i'm talking about classical music . Not so easy.

And since you can have an easier time with music that old its best just to find a piece you can use. You guys are hypocritical or not listening. You say hire someone then you say thats not impossible blah blah. none of you have done it yet you weigh in on it with conjecture . When i' knoow more already. Why do i ask?

Cos i was looking for a simple yes or no regarding the amount of years and so on . period

Yes, you can use a piece of classical music that is no longer under copyright.

No, you cannot use an already completed recording without obtaining clearances for the sync rights.

Yes, a musician/arranger/audio engineer type could possibly do a very nice MIDI/Sample version of a classical piece. The more experienced the musician/arranger/audio engineer type is - and the more comprehensive their MIDI/Sample sounds libraries are, and how good his/her ears are - the closer his/her rendition will be to a real orchestral performance.

I've done the same with "pop" songs (30's through today) quite successfully. It can be a very painstaking, hemorrhoidal process, however.

i wish you guys would listen to what you say. I've spoken to composers who do scores and play many instruments and can play pieces on their own recorded individual. You guys are the ones who said hire someone to do it. But i'm talking about classical music . Not so easy.

And since you can have an easier time with music that old its best just to find a piece you can use. You guys are hypocritical or not listening. You say hire someone then you say thats not impossible blah blah. none of you have done it yet you weigh in on it with conjecture . When i' knoow more already. Why do i ask?

Cos i was looking for a simple yes or no regarding the amount of years and so on . period

I actually agree with you about AudioPostExpert. He's an extreme nuisance. I'm trying to find common ground with him to get him to leave me the fuck alone. He follows me to every thread I comment on and nitpicks/naysays everything I say. Says he's doing it out of the best interest of the site, calling me on every single technicality he can possibly find in what I say. Don't bother arguing. He'll just find more and more little technicalities to call you on.

So when I say, "I understand what you're saying," to this moron, I'm merely deciding not to argue. I actually haven't kept track of this discussion, so I apologize.

Last edited:
You guys are hypocritical or not listening. You say hire someone then you say thats not impossible blah blah. none of you have done it yet you weigh in on it with conjecture . When i' knoow more already. Why do i ask?

I was trained as an orchestral musician at a top conservatoire and then played in professional symphony orchestras for several years before turning to composing music for film, recording and/or producing music and then to audio post. Therefore, not only have I been involved in recording symphony orchestras as a member of the orchestra but subsequently as an engineer. Furthermore, when I was learning MIDI programming, one of the exercises I did was to recreate a section of a symphony using sample. So I'm basing what I'm saying on personal, professional experience of classical music, symphony orchestras, orchestral recordings and of creating/recreating scores using samples. How then have you arrived at the conclusion that "none of us have done it", that I'm "weighing in with conjecture" and that you know more? I suggest it's you who is not listening and that maybe you know so little that you can't even recognise who does or does not know more!

What I said was impossible is not someone re-creating a recording of a symphony with samples/MIDI but trying to re-create a recording by playing all of the actual orchestral instruments.

Yes, an orchestral score (Beethoven's 9th for example) could be created/re-created in ProTools using samples. In big budget features, many orchestral scores are created this way initially, for approval and then a real orchestra is recorded. It's not unusual for the final mix used in the film to be a mix of both the real orchestra and the synthesised/sampled one. The top people, with the best orchestral sample libraries, equipment and skills can produce orchestral recordings (from samples alone) which are virtually indistinguishable to the average person from a real orchestra. Even at the lo/no budget levels, I've heard some aspiring composers create quite convincing orchestral recordings (with samples only), and having spent many years working with symphony orchestras I'm well qualified to judge what is convincing. So, no, at the lo/no budget level for an orchestral piece you do NOT need "at least a small symphony" orchestra, you just need someone with orchestra samples, a DAW and some skill.

i was looking for a simple yes or no regarding the amount of years and so on . period

The simple "yes" or "no" has been given to you several times at the beginning of the thread, it's generally "no", period! Since then, we've moved on to potential solutions to this problem.

G

Last edited:
I actually agree with you about AudioPostExpert. He's an extreme nuisance. I'm trying to find common ground with him to get him to leave me the fuck alone. He follows me to every thread I comment on and nitpicks/naysays everything I say. Says he's doing it out of the best interest of the site, calling me on every single technicality he can possibly find in what I say. Don't bother arguing. He'll just find more and more little technicalities to call you on.

So when I say, "I understand what you're saying," to this moron, I'm merely deciding not to argue. I actually haven't kept track of this discussion, so I apologize.

thats what you get out of europe if it aint germany. Monkeys posing as intellectuals

thats what you get out of europe if it aint germany. Monkeys posing as intellectuals

Too right.

Studied music at a "Top Conservatory," performed in professional symphony orchestras, composes music for films, self proclaimed "AudioPostExpert," picks arguments with indie filmmakers.

Last edited:
Back