Do these guns look real enough?

I just wanted to see what excuse he was going to come up with.

The lighting won't be right

What if you do it right handed and the shooter is left handed

What if the gun doesn't look exactly like the prop gun

What if ....

Ponies. Goddam ponies always gettin in my bikeshed.

Last edited:
On a sidenote, is it possible to buy a prop gun that is fake, and you actually open the chamber, and put a prop bullet in the chamber, but it all looks real? Any prop guns that can do that?

You don't load firearms that way. You fill the magazine (which does release on this airsoft model) and slap the magazine into the handle. The only thing coming out of the chamber is the brass casing after the bullet is fired, which can be done digitally. I show how in my VFX course, Indie Rebel

On a sidenote, is it possible to buy a prop gun that is fake, and you actually open the chamber, and put a prop bullet in the chamber, but it all looks real? Any prop guns that can do that?

I have seen these in pawn shops around Texas. Used, in rough condition, but very realistic looking. Most of them will chamber a round properly. Some of them need some oil and some help. Some do jam easily.

But, what color brass? I mean, would Nickle plated brass be best? Even these aluminum casings that are kind of rare? What about fresh new from the factory shiny golden brass! But what if the character was poor and could not afford to buy ammo very often. He would be using older ammo that would likely be tarnished from age and handling. There are even steel casings that come from eastern bloc countries? What would be proper?

Is the character poor or rich? A firearms professional or a novice? Did he pick it up out of his collection or buy it from the same guy he gets his pills from?

These are some additional thoughts (excuses) you should ponder (use) in order to (not) make your film.

He doesn't need to worry about that because he literately said, it only needs to be shown in a drawer. This is where my point of wasting time of those giving answers here applies again. He is asking because he just "wants to know." Next, it will be about actually firing, then, blood, then... and he has no plans for any of it.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Well mainly a guy finds the gun like in a drawer, or something like that. For a still shot in the drawer, will it pass? If not, then maybe I should get one from somewhere else?

We answered this so you can get to making your film now. Or is this drawer scene now a massacre?

I'm not kidding, we're getting to ponies.

Attachments

• my_little_pony_gun.jpg
    my_little_pony_gun.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 108
I was just helping him plan his bikeshed. Just bogging him down with more unrealistic questions and options.

Based on his post, he doesn't even know where or how the gun will be used/discovered/shown or even exist in the possible scene of his nonexistent script.

Plus, I like firearms. Finally, a topic here where I am not a complete novice.

If all you want is the bullet popping out of the chamber, you're better off using After Effects just to add it in.

If you're looking for more real looking guns, there are blowback airsoft guns, but as said they're a bit pricey.

But I want a scene of the actor, actually putting the bullet INTO the chamber. Not a bullet popping out. In after effects, the actor cannot actually physically take the bullet in his fingers, and insert it into the gun. That's the problem.

But I want a scene of the actor, actually putting the bullet INTO the chamber. Not a bullet popping out. In after effects, the actor cannot actually physically take the bullet in his fingers, and insert it into the gun. That's the problem.

As El Director said, that's NOT how you put a bullet in a gun. Bullet's go into the magazine and then placed into the gun itself. With the slide already pushed back is how you see the bullet going into the chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3NRyP7uFI0#t=32

Last edited:
As El Director said, that's NOT how you put a bullet in a gun. Bullet's go into the magazine and then placed into the gun itself. And then you RACK the slide of gun in order for the bullet to be in the chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3NRyP7uFI0#t=32

Yes I understand that, but in my story, the guy is opening the chamber to look inside and see if there is a bullet in it., once he finds it in the drawer. So is there a prop gun that can actually reveal a bullet in the chamber, that I can buy? The ones on shorty USA, cannot do that, but is there ones that can, where you can open the chamber to check if there is a bullet?

Also even if have the character check the magazine instead, those guns on that website, do not have magazines, with bullets sticking out on top. So are there prop guns I could get with realistic looking magazines, with a bullet sticking out the top, that loads in?

Last edited:
Yes I understand that, but in my story, the guy is opening the chamber to look inside and see if there is a bullet in it., once he finds it in the drawer. So is there a prop gun that can actually reveal a bullet in the chamber, that I can buy? The ones on shorty USA, cannot do that, but is there ones that can, where you can open the chamber to check if there is a bullet?

Also even if have the character check the magazine instead, those guns on that website, do not have magazines, with bullets sticking out on top. So are there prop guns I could get with realistic looking magazines, with a bullet sticking out the top, that loads in?

Why worry about the size of the bolts that hold the hinge on the door that leads into the closet of the bikeshed when you have no actual plans to build the bikeshed anyway?

You know, you can tell the story of checking to see if the gun is loaded with a different camera angle and a simple sound effect you can use royalty free.

Do you have a script for this? Have you solved the more pressing issues of this production, or are you just test screaming "Wolf!" again?

You don't need a realistic magazine and dummy bullet chambering scene to tell the story of checking to see if the gun is loaded.

Anyway, I told you I would give you that footage for free, just to see you get off your ass and produce something, I will film that closeup for you. You don't even have to give me credit or money or anything. Produce the scene and I'll film the closeup.

Use a 1911, Glock 17 or Sig P226 if you want a realistic LEO or Military sidearm.

That can easily be done with creative editing. A gun palmed and a guy looking down. Just make the damn film and take everyone's advive of not worring over every damn detail.

Why worry about the size of the bolts that hold the hinge on the door that leads into the closet of the bikeshed when you have no actual plans to build the bikeshed anyway?

You know, you can tell the story of checking to see if the gun is loaded with a different camera angle and a simple sound effect you can use royalty free.

Do you have a script for this? Have you solved the more pressing issues of this production, or are you just test screaming "Wolf!" again?

Yes I have a script. I am writing another script right now as well, and would like to use the same prop gun for both. In the second script, a character does empty a pistol and reload it though. So I would like a gun that comes with reload-able magazine's in order to sell it. Are there any prop guns that have those, I can get?

As for hiding the effect in editing, other movies, actually show the round in the chamber, and in order to enhance the effect, so I would like to do the same. It just sometimes feels lazy when people suggest to hide something, in order to 'get it over with', rather than enhancing it like other movies do. I don't always want to take the quicky, lazy way out. In the last short film I did, I was told not enough detail was attended to, so I don't want to rush it and 'get it over with', and make the same mistakes on details.

Last edited:
Maybe lazy isn't the right word, but other movie actually show the bullet going in, and I don't want to quickly skip over details, if I don't have to. Why should I pay for this gun, incapable of taking fake bullets for a scene, when I cam have one that possibly can. That's all...

Sorry, I am planning out the pre-production too much, or am I wrong, for wanting to get good props in order to create more shot options? I guess I am just tired of not being to have a lot of what I want, it always seems to be can't have this, can't have that, etc.

Last edited:
Do you want to know why people don't show certain parts? It's because THEY DON'T HAVE THE EQUIPMENT FOR IT! That's where creativity comes into play. You don't have to give all the pieces of the puzzle. The audience will piece it together. It's called making things implied.

I see your point. I see all these movies where things are shown to enhance the situation, and I am in love with that mindset of showing, rather than implying. It's just the style I aspire to, and was wanting to get a prop gun that can make it work...

However, there are other sites other than Shorty USA though, so I thought I could easily get a pistol that could do it elsewhere.

Make a damn movie! If you have a dead body yes you want it to look like a dead body, a gun like a gun, as an indie filmmaker you can figure out how to make it work, but all these damn questions every day are driving us all crazy! Make a got-damn movie!

Enough of this BS just for the sake of asking!

It just sometimes feels lazy when people suggest to hide something
No wonder you don't get film making yet.

I don't always want to take the quicky, lazy way out
I call bullshit. There's nothing more lazy than not making films when you should.

I was told not enough detail was attended to, so I don't want to rush it and 'get it over with', and make the same mistakes on details.
One word. Boobs.

Boobs cut with everything.

I don't want to quickly skip over details, if I don't have to. Why should I pay for this gun
You shouldn't. You should hire an armorer. A professional. They'll bring what you need. You aren't. Instead of going the indie route, you're taking the road to h44 (hole in my bucket) town.

or am I wrong,
Just assume you're always wrong. It'll save a lot of time.

Keep on singing your song. While you do, we'll be busy making the films you wish you could.

Back