Connecting Camera to FCP

Hey Guys,

I almost feel embarrassed about asking this... but I've tried everything I can. So now I'm
asking the pros.
Anyways a couple days back I got a Canon XH AIs and since then I haven't been able to connect
it to FCP.
For some reason FCP is having trouble recognizing the device, so naturally I can't log and capture any
of my footage. I've also tried to connect it to Adobe Premier and the same thing happens.
I can control the camera from my computer but there is no preview on my computer screen and it
keeps stating that there is no device detected.
I'm figuring it's some sort of signal output mismatch... but
Someone help?
Thanks

can you connect a different camera to the machine and have it recognized (testing whether the firewire port in the computer may be broken)
can you connect to a different computer with it (testing whether the camera's firewire port may be damaged)
can you connect it with a different firewire cable if both of those produce the same results (testing to see if the cable is broken).

Only 3 parts to this equation:

camera --------- cable ---------- computer

test each independently by swapping it out with a "KNOWN GOOD" component. Use a friends' resources if you don't have extras around.

Hey Godchoo,

I have the XH-A1 and FCP and experienced the exact same issue when I first tried to import my footage. Knightly posted some helpful links back when I posted about it:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=15013&page=2

There were settings on my camera that I hadn't adjusted properly, but every time I changed them it made no difference. Then I found out that I had to disconnect the FireWire cable from the camera in order for the changes to take effect. As I recall, one of them was the HD downconverter needs to be switched off. You might check that.

I've got the same camera, and it's always interacted... oddly with FCP. The one thing we have to do is make sure that the camera is on and the firewire cable is in connected before we launch Final Cut. If the camera's not connected before starting the program, it won't ever "find" it. Good luck!

Sorry to contradict you, Mike, but I've never had to connect my A1 before launching FCP. I've always plugged right in, even in the middle of an edit session, then clicked on "log and capture" with nary a problem.

Maybe it's a version thing? I'm using FCS2 on a G5.

Last edited:
Back