• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenplay proofreading

Would there be any interest on IT for a screenplay proofreading service? I've been a member here for a couple of years and given feedback on dozens of scripts. Even in the very best screenplays, simple spelling, punctuation and grammar problems are common. I have a bit of time on my hands right now, and would be willing to proofread scripts (shorts and features) for a reasonable fee.

I've worked as a freelance proofreader/editor for fiction authors and academics for around 15 years, so I know what I'm doing in terms of language, but I freely admit I'm not experienced enough to offer advice on the content or structure of screenplays. What I can do is make it easier to get better feedback from movie pros as language issues will not be getting in the way.

Feel free to PM me if interested :)

Proofreading for a fee is a sticky subject. In other words what happens if they find errors after, do you offer a refund?

Proofreading for a fee is a sticky subject. In other words what happens if they find errors after, do you offer a refund?

If there are any clear and unambiguous errors (i.e. not matters of style or personal preference) remaining, I will work with the writer to get them fixed for free and to the writer's satisfaction.

Even the very best professional proofreaders miss things (as you can tell by reading any novel/newspaper report/magazine article), but the readers to be wary of are those who disappear at that stage! And of course, while the aim is always to fix 100% of errors, a screenplay with 95% of errors fixed is guaranteed to read better than one with three or four errors on every page.

Back