• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Posting proof of premise here

So, basically, I've figured out an awesome premise for a spoof (like yesterday) only to find out that someone else is already making a movie out of that exact same premise. :hmm: I don't know if this is following the rules, but it's about a story, therefore about screenwriting, therefore... I think this is the best sub-forum for this post.

I'm notoriously procrastination-prone so this might never even see the light of day, but I really feel the need to post some kind of a message SOMEWHERE on the interwebz, so that if (hopefully when) my version comes out, it won't be seen as a pure ripoff in case of accidental similarities. And by the nature of the premise, there may be A LOT of similarities because it's intended to be a UFO conspiracy theory parody and those share a lot of material in common -- stuff like Area 51, Majestic 12, etc...

I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting -- after all, how many movies share a similar or even an identical premise? A crapton of lot, right? But this is a bit of an emotional need here.

So, the premise is "let's make a conspiracy theory where PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE was either completely real or close to that", which is one of those ridiculously silly ideas that I always love. :yes: Intent is to be completely deadpan about it, film and edit it in a ridiculously paranoid style a-la Peter Joseph's Zeitgeist. "Well-produced amateurish documentary of bullshit" is the style I'm aiming for.

THEN I find out that THIS is a thing: http://theslaughteredbird.com/unspeakable-horrors-plan-9-conspiracy/

To my luck, however, the current trailer (on YouTube) is mostly tight-lipped about the movie's secrets. There's next to no information about what kind of story elements they're going to use and what conspiracies they want, etc... only thing I know is they'll have a lot of "filmmaker interviews"

So if I post a few of my key ideas, that will serve as proof that I came up with them independently... right? Right??? :huh:

I'm sorry, but I have to. It's an emotional need.

I might update this when I come up with additional stuff and flesh it out, it's barely even a concept right now... but here go a few elements that will be in my version of the premise, mostly spoiler-free version:

1) 2016 US election segues into mind control
2) mind control in general will be a theme
3) recent SpaceX rocket explosion is involved
4) for background material, I'm not exactly sure yet (I need to do a hell of a lot more research on what exact kind of stupidity is popular in the UFO conspiracy circles) but I think I'm planning to abuse MJ-12.
5) my aliens are not "in Hollywood" as one of the people in their trailer claims, my aliens have abandoned direct confrontation and are trying for something more subtle. (again, mind control is involved)
6) "no one will believe reality once it becomes a fictional movie" is a thing

AFAIK, there is not much information about the "Plan 9 Conspiracy" film, so there's no way I could extract it from their work. This is MY stupid head thinking of the silliest things. :D

If there's a better sub-forum for this post, please move it there. And no, this is not intended to be promotion -- as I've said, I'm procrastination-prone so this might not even happen in the first place, so... yeah.

This is the place to post this, so you can relax.

There have been several parodies of "Plan 9" and even unofficial "sequels". There
is no reason YOU can't do one, too. My advice it to write it!

This is the place to post this, so you can relax.

There have been several parodies of "Plan 9" and even unofficial "sequels". There
is no reason YOU can't do one, too. My advice it to write it!
Point 1: good! That means I haven't broken the rules by accident. :bow:

Point 2: I know there are many parodies, sequels, remakes and what-not, but I was really surprised to find out someone else is approaching it from a similar "Plan 9 was REAL" conspiracy/mockumentary angle. That was the unexpected bit for me.

Anyway, the sheer absurd lunacy of the premise still fills me with too much glee to ignore. One thing I have to figure out is whether to pretend the other film doesn't even exist or try to work its existence into my narrative... I really don't know at this point. :huh: I'll have to think about that.

Back