Support Accessories Advise

Can anyone help me find a decent tripod w/head for about 300$? I've personally become accustomed to using the 501HDV head at my high school and would like to perhaps get it or an upgrade from it if possible... however I have no idea on the kind of legs that would work good with it. My setup isn't too heavy so I doubt I'll need more than 15lbs of support either...

Also I'm looking for a shoulder rig system and decided that to check ebay over the high priced B&H professional products... this is the area I've decided to go cheap in haha...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filmcity-Sh...590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56656e9da6

Any opinions on should rigs like these ones? India produced knock offs with tons of extras for extremely low prices?

this is the area I've decided to go cheap in haha...

I know how you feel, I've been extremely low on funds myself a few times. However, this is a case of "penny-wise and pound-foolish." When I was a touring musician I found that very high quality accessories outlasted most of the gear I was using. I beat the living daylights out of cabling, stands, racks and cases that lasted two-plus decades of usage with only minor repairs easily done by myself.

BTW, this is a reason you work on other peoples projects and network, network, network - you can always call in a favor to borrow things.

Also, consider renting when it comes to something like the shoulder rig. One of my mantras has always been "If you're not going to use it every day it's not worth owning it."

I know how you feel, I've been extremely low on funds myself a few times. However, this is a case of "penny-wise and pound-foolish." When I was a touring musician I found that very high quality accessories outlasted most of the gear I was using. I beat the living daylights out of cabling, stands, racks and cases that lasted two-plus decades of usage with only minor repairs easily done by myself.

BTW, this is a reason you work on other peoples projects and network, network, network - you can always call in a favor to borrow things.

Also, consider renting when it comes to something like the shoulder rig. One of my mantras has always been "If you're not going to use it every day it's not worth owning it."

I would say I'd agree with you... but some parts of that India made rig I'd actually use on a daily basis. I do photography for a living and I'd love to have a follow-focus for the convenience. The cost of those is normally half that of the rig... so I thought I might as well spring the hundred and have a rig for when I want to make some shorts, without always renting one out.

Hey so revival of this...

Been reading a lot of reviews and watching a good bit... And the prices flux so much on it.

But I really like the build of Manfrotto from the experience I've had with them.

Would anyone recommend the Manfrotto 055x with 502HD?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842140-REG/Manfrotto_055XB_Tripod_Legs_Black.html

@Alcove Audio; I've taken your advise when it comes to the rig. I'll hold out until I can buy a nice built product.

Back