TASCAM DR-40

Hey Everyone,

So I was hoping I could get some advice as to whether or not this piece of equipment could be valuable to my setup.

I'm a diehard TASCAM fan, since I've been using their interface equipment for years in my studio and absolutely love it. So, I'm attracted to the DR-40. The main reason I want to pick up this recorder is for musical reasons - I'm shooting a series to promote my next album where my crew and I are going to go to weird areas and record barebones acoustic tracks in them, along with capturing it on video. So, the Dr-40 appeals to me because instead of lugging a computer and interface around, we only need to bring this recorder, and I can send two XLR mics into it - as a portable solution it seems really viable, and even just as a general songwriting tool.

So I was wondering whether or not the DR-40 would be of use in my film setup as well. I currently use a Zoom H1 to save the audio and manage the levels coming from a Rode Videomic, a setup that has been working exceptionally well for me. I'd probably get rid of the H1, though, to raise a bit of cash towards the more expensive DR-40 upgrade, since it can perform the same task easily. (Though the upgrade won't be that much more, DR-40s can be snapped up for $150 on eBay..)

Are the DR-40's onboard mics any decent? How would they compare with my Rode Videomic? What other uses in my film rig could it have?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Obviously it's no shotgun mic or a good XLR mic, but stuff like this eludes to the onboard actually being decent - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPneIc7Bz8

Last edited:
Have really enjoyed mine. Live drums actually sound ok with this unit. After you use it a while you can add xlr mic.s, phono, or whatever you like, even run it off a mixer with some cables. So far no problems with it, it's been used almost every other day. My son records vocals and drums to produce electronic music, I use it for live events and interviews, sometimes with a mic, sometimes just the onboard. You can get better units (like anything else, for a price), but for the lo-money and ease of use, I love it.

Hi - I have the $199.99 DR-40, but for use with my camera, it is a mounting nightmare., because it takes up the hot shoe, leaving no room for a mic. I work around this with a $30 Kamerar hot shoe extension (see picture below), which puts a lot of stress on my hot shoe. In fact, I have broken a couple of hot shoes this way.

P1120289.JPG

If I had it to do all over again I would get the $195 (on sale) DR-60d, which mounts under the camera and has more manual controls (as opposed to the DR-40's over-reliance on software menus).

This recorder is a lot easier to mount and, on sale, will cost you a little less money than the DR-40. Highly recommended.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Last edited:
The DR-60 is certainly very interesting - Could someone explain to me how exactly it works in conjunction with your DSLR? I'm a bit confused at that. It doesn't have an onboard mic, but has more options for monitoring the XLR mics you're plugging into it?

The DR-60 is certainly very interesting - Could someone explain to me how exactly it works in conjunction with your DSLR? I'm a bit confused at that. It doesn't have an onboard mic, but has more options for monitoring the XLR mics you're plugging into it?

The DR-60d is pretty much a DR-40/DR-100 without onboard mics and is intended to mount between the camera and the tripod.

130411_tascam_DSC_0093.jpg

The DR-60d also has an output for the camera, a line out and a separate headphone output so has a bit more monitoring/output flexibility. It also has a minipin input so you can record 2 additional tracks. The audio slate is a nice touch.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929347-REG/tascam_dr_60d_4_ch_track_linear_pcm.html

Back