• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Do you like this idea?

I have been wanting to do this for a while and I don't see anything stopping me now but I want to know how to get started. My idea was for a horror movie like Paranormal Activity but instead of using actors and scripts, we trick someone into thinking they are actually in a haunted house. Plant cameras and set up props and cause chaos. I think it would be really interesting. What do you think?

So you're think if almost a reality show along the lines of
"Scare Tactics"? Real people in a house that is set up to
have "hauntings" occur - all captured on hidden cameras?

Without a script you have no idea what will happen or how it will turn out. Therefore, you don't know if it will be good. You know what's probably a better idea, no offense, but maybe make a short where the story goes that a director wants to do the same thing you've suggested. You're idea is good for a movie within a movie.

I have been wanting to do this for a while and I don't see anything stopping me now but I want to know how to get started. My idea was for a horror movie like Paranormal Activity but instead of using actors and scripts, we trick someone into thinking they are actually in a haunted house. Plant cameras and set up props and cause chaos. I think it would be really interesting. What do you think?

Be sure to carry plenty of liability insurance! People get destructive and hurt themselves and others when they panic. A haunted house reality setting offers potential dangers. While I'm sure it is intended all in good fun, taking it to the level of "Scare Tactics" is dangerous. Rather than have individuals come in "cold", you should recruit willing 'investigators-in-training'. Have an 'experienced paranormal expert' there to assist. Having volunteers who expect weirdness and sign waivers acknowledging the possibility is far safer than bringing in people who have no clue. You might want some lawyers look over the liability waivers also.

-----------------------
From the ABA Journal (2/28/03)
SCARED AND SCARRED BY REALITY TV
Lawsuits Claim Pranks Take Entertainment to a Painful New Level
(http://www.watchfarscape.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-7697.html)

The suit was apparently dropped in 2005. No doubt due to an out-of-court settlement which was cheaper than a trial jury award.

Back