• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Idea - "Love Conquers All?"

Forgive the tacky title, it's a work in progress.
I had the idea for a kind of romantic drama (unsure of it's length, if it'd be a short or a feature) that's very Blue Valentine esque I suppose, cross cutting to places in the relationship of a couple and scenes with them on their own, showing how the dynamic between them shifts as time passes and they go between extremes of love, anger etc.

I was thinking of maybe trying it with teenage characters (aged around 17 or 18) with one knowing they're going to leave for university, limiting the time they'd have together and therefore affecting their dynamic as a couple.

Just wondering what people thought.

Cheers.

What does the love conquer?
The actual long distance relationship or just the introduction of the possibility for a long distance relationship?
What make his or her love persevere? Because if both of them are cool with a LDR at the same time that could be a very short conversation and not much of a story.
Why is the other person stymied by the possibility or actuality and how do they get around to their "love conquers all" realization?
Is there an internal conflict that once resolved allows the external conflict to also be resolved?

It would, assuming there's a happy ending, be given the possibility of a long distance relationship.
One thing that makes me a little bit cynical about using teenage actors (although i know some who are actually very good) is that, I'm aiming to, as of course it would show many emotions in the couple's dynamic, have some "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" style outbursts of anger, if slightly more understated and I'm wondering if that'd work with teenagers.

One, all writing is a learning experience. So just write it. Whether it gets made or not should be secondary at this point.

Two, if you have two excellent actors and you are the writer/director, you can guide them to realize what you want. And as teens, they can give you valuable feedback about what seems natural.

Three, approach writing with confidence. Allow people to offer their feedback after you've created, not before. No one can see the concept inside your head. It could be good or bad, but get it onto paper first. Then it can be evaluated in a realistic manner, constructively.

Romance and comedy, I feel, are the hardest genres to write. They need a good command of emotional intelligence and timing. They don't follow typical "action" conventions. However, without seeing the script, it's hard to say if it's being pulled off. My concept of an "outburst of anger" can be radically different from yours and is dependent on the context.

So write it. If it's good, produce it. If not, put it aside. Either way, you've learned something that can improve future scripts.

Back