• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Anyone agree with this article on screenwriting?

http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-write-great-script.html

It says that 90% of scripts fail to sell because they don't have a compelling concept. Is that true though? Cause many movies out there really do not have a one, and a lot of them, are really been there seen that, over and over again. Or is those movies still just some of the 10% that do get made?
It also says to give the audience a character to root for, but there a lot of movies where the heroes are despicable monsters and the movie becomes stronger because of that.

Last edited:
A pretty good list.

But point Number One is key in Hollywood.

I learned a great lesson when I went to the American Film Market in Santa Monica one year. One of the production company reps told me that I always needed to remember that whomever I was telling or pitching my idea to, would then (hopefully) go on to pitch the idea to somebody else (preferably somebody higher up the production food chain).

This may seem an obvious description of the pitching process, but think about it for a moment longer; what this means is that your idea must be easily transmittable. Pitchable concepts need to be incredibly pithy, because anything too complex won't stick in people's brains.

You movie ideas, in other words, need to be viral. Viral content online is almost always short; a short video, an image, a meme. On this note, think of your pitches as tweets. What's your idea in 140 characters or less? Now that you've distilled it down, is it still intriguing? If not, it's not gonna fly in LA -- because the movie "biz" is simply sales. And salespeople work best with short and sweet when it comes to pushing product.

I'd certainly say this list is talking about selling into the studio system. Indie movies can break all of these rules, but, in most cases, would still be best served playing by them. Regardless, I don't quite understand where you're coming from with this...

All movies should have a compelling (or at least interesting) concept. Nobody would read/produce/watch it otherwise. What films are you thinking of that don't have a good concept. Sure, there is alot of repetition in movie concepts nowadays, but the audience will still watch movies that have similar concepts, so long as they are approached in a different way.

And what movies are you thinking of that have a "dispicable monster" as their hero? You're hero is the good guy. Sure, films like Reservior Dogs (an independent rule-breaker) use bad guys as the main characters, some we prefer, some we don't, but we don't really root for any of them. They're anti-heroes. Genre films, like Friday the 13th for example, have given rise to this idea of rooting for the killer. We're not supposed to though, they're still the antagonist.

All in all, it's a good list with some advice that a lot of writers, myself included, could do with listening to a little more!

And what movies are you thinking of that have a "dispicable monster" as their hero? You're hero is the good guy. Sure, films like Reservior Dogs (an independent rule-breaker) use bad guys as the main characters, some we prefer, some we don't, but we don't really root for any of them. They're anti-heroes. Genre films, like Friday the 13th for example, have given rise to this idea of rooting for the killer. We're not supposed to though, they're still the antagonist.

I'll answer this one: The Devil's Rejects. The crazy family starts out as the antagonists or villains of the movie, but right around the ice cream scene, they become the protagonists and the ones we're rooting for. They're still despicable monsters, but now we want them to come out on top. It's actually a pretty brilliant film.

I'll answer this one: The Devil's Rejects...

I can agree with that to some extent. The Firefly's are terrible people and they are our protagonists, but they are still anti-heroes. In a way, it's also the same as Friday the 13th, in that we're rooting for the killer. Rob Zombie is a rule breaker, he does whatever feels like and somehow, some would say (me, for instance, I love the man), he pulls it off. Lots of others would disagree though...

Still, I'll give you that one! Harmonica stated that "lots of films" have these monsters as their hero. Lets try and name some more...

It was spot on. A screenplay doesn't have to have all of those elements but it must meet: 2, 3, 4 and 11. These are points that seem to come up repeatedly in postings asking for comments. From my perspective, these four points are the most typical difficulties that appear and I would add formatting. If you want to succeed, learn to use proper format. Nothing will get a piece rejected faster than poorly formatted pages.

(2) A MAIN CHARACTER WHO WANTS SOMETHING (AKA A “GOAL”) - "The stronger your character wants to achieve his/her goal, the more compelling they’re going to be. Now I’ll be the first to admit that passive characters sometimes work. ... But these characters are tricky to write and require a skill set that takes years to master. In the end, they're too dangerous to mess around with. Stick with a character who wants something."

(3) A MAIN CHARACTER WE WANT TO ROOT FOR - "I got good news. Your hero doesn’t have to be “likeable” for your script to work. But you DO have to give us a character we want to root for, someone we’re eager to see succeed."

(4) GET TO YOUR STORY QUICKLY! -"As far as amateur screenplay mistakes go, this is easily one of the Top 3. Even after I explain, in detail, what the mistake is, writers continue to do it."

(11) HEART - "We need to emotionally connect with your characters on some level for us to want to follow them."

Yes I will agree on those four points. However in a movie like The Godfather for example, were we really rooting for Michael to kill everyone and become a powerful crime lord? I kinda wanted him to go up in flames, and I assume a lot of viewers would have wanted that. Not that that makes it a bad movie though, I would call this a good movie, that breaks that rule, unless the rule still applies here and we're suppose to be rooting for him.

Yes I will agree on those four points. However in a movie like The Godfather for example, were we really rooting for Michael to kill everyone and become a powerful crime lord? I kinda wanted him to go up in flames, and I assume a lot of viewers would have wanted that. Not that that makes it a bad movie though, I would call this a good movie, that breaks that rule, unless the rule still applies here and we're suppose to be rooting for him.

There is a dark story pattern which I'll call the "Anti-Hero's Journey". It takes more skill to write well. What you see is a good main character who through choices and circumstances fails morally and they become the Monster. The example of this is the corruption of Anakin Skywalker to become Darth Vader. Michael in the beginning of the Godfather has no wish to be part of the mafia when he returns from the War. But his father's murder and other events conspire to make him choose and follow a path that leads to becoming the feared family head.

We care about Anakin and Michael because of the slow changes that seem to press them to become the monster. In this "Anti-Hero's Journey", the protagonist becomes the monster. We care and feel the pity or hopelessness. It requires a solid character arc.

In the TV series, Heroes, we are strangely drawn to "Skylar", the murderous mutant serial killer. Over the seasons he shifts between repentant and driven. As we learn his back story, we see how he reached that point. Villains give us the ability to realize our darkest urges on the screen. There are some villains we love to hate. Because we eagerly want to see them get their comeuppance.

A superficial reading of points (3) and (11) suggests we need a cowboy in a white hat to cheer for. That's not the case. They suggest that we have character(s) who we want to see achieve a goal even if they fail. Further we want to watch to see them succeed despite the obstacles that confront them.

If Michael had started out as a sociopathic killer at the beginning of the Godfather, it would have been less successful. It's not a rule but a guideline. Writing the "Anti-Hero's Journey" seems to attract rebel writers like moth's to a flame. It is by far the hardest to write effectively. Most start with the bad guy in the beginning and he never changes. The anti-hero is not likeable nor do they draw empathy from the audience. Why watch? Feature scripts suffer from this as well. In my opinion, Scarface suffers from this. It's a violent, less-inspired version of the Godfather theme. A few clever soundbites don't redeem it.

There are many war movies where the action is violent and brutal but we want them to be successful in their cause. We care when they are injured or killed, positively or negatively. "Bridge over the River Kwai" is an example of how the Japanese and English roles shift over the course of the movie. Frankenstein, Dracula, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Godzilla, etc. start off as murderous beasts but you come to appreciate their role as one shaped by circumstance. And the audience cares. Fear and hatred of the protagonist can be forms of 'caring' but only if they are counterbalanced with liking the antagonist. (NB: This isn't different from really liking the protagonist but having it counterbalanced with disliking the antagonist.)

The Anti-Hero's Journey often requires a few scripts under the belt before it is written well, especially if the writer hasn't mastered the Hero's Journey. The "rule" isn't violated with Michael. We watch a tragic character arc.

There is a dark story pattern which I'll call the "Anti-Hero's Journey". It takes more skill to write well. What you see is a good main character who through choices and circumstances fails morally and they become the Monster. The example of this is the corruption of Anakin Skywalker to become Darth Vader. Michael in the beginning of the Godfather has no wish to be part of the mafia when he returns from the War. But his father's murder and other events conspire to make him choose and follow a path that leads to becoming the feared family head.

We care about Anakin and Michael because of the slow changes that seem to press them to become the monster. In this "Anti-Hero's Journey", the protagonist becomes the monster. We care and feel the pity or hopelessness. It requires a solid character arc.

In the TV series, Heroes, we are strangely drawn to "Skylar", the murderous mutant serial killer. Over the seasons he shifts between repentant and driven. As we learn his back story, we see how he reached that point. Villains give us the ability to realize our darkest urges on the screen. There are some villains we love to hate. Because we eagerly want to see them get their comeuppance.

A superficial reading of points (3) and (11) suggests we need a cowboy in a white hat to cheer for. That's not the case. They suggest that we have character(s) who we want to see achieve a goal even if they fail. Further we want to watch to see them succeed despite the obstacles that confront them.

If Michael had started out as a sociopathic killer at the beginning of the Godfather, it would have been less successful. It's not a rule but a guideline. Writing the "Anti-Hero's Journey" seems to attract rebel writers like moth's to a flame. It is by far the hardest to write effectively. Most start with the bad guy in the beginning and he never changes. The anti-hero is not likeable nor do they draw empathy from the audience. Why watch? Feature scripts suffer from this as well. In my opinion, Scarface suffers from this. It's a violent, less-inspired version of the Godfather theme. A few clever soundbites don't redeem it.

There are many war movies where the action is violent and brutal but we want them to be successful in their cause. We care when they are injured or killed, positively or negatively. "Bridge over the River Kwai" is an example of how the Japanese and English roles shift over the course of the movie. Frankenstein, Dracula, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Godzilla, etc. start off as murderous beasts but you come to appreciate their role as one shaped by circumstance. And the audience cares. Fear and hatred of the protagonist can be forms of 'caring' but only if they are counterbalanced with liking the antagonist. (NB: This isn't different from really liking the protagonist but having it counterbalanced with disliking the antagonist.)

The Anti-Hero's Journey often requires a few scripts under the belt before it is written well, especially if the writer hasn't mastered the Hero's Journey. The "rule" isn't violated with Michael. We watch a tragic character arc.

I liked how in Scarface he was a sociopath throughout and liked how it was different. But it could have turned into something more careless and without depth by doing that. In my current script the hero does become more of the antihero in the end, and I hope I have the skill to pull it off well, if it's the hardest to write effectively as you said.

Natural Born Killers is another one.

Film is an animal.
Film makers try and draw that animal. Hollywood has developed a fairly accurate depiction - A depiction that they can sell to the public pretty easily. So what they do is they look for people who can draw replicas of the Hollywood depiction.
Beginners break out the tracing paper and trace the depiction over and over until they can do it freehand. Do that - study the depiction - and you'll get good at it. Maybe good enough to be a part of it.

But if you don't look at the animal and ask yourself "Why is this line here in the depiction?" then you're just making copies of copies.. which eventually stop looking anything like the animal.

Reason these Rules so often turn into guidelines when successful films ignore them is because they are the drawing and not the animal.

Tragedy is a plot element. The Hero's Journey and Anti-Hero's Journey are story motifs. Tragedy is typically when the protagonist loses in the end. I think of "Romeo and Juliet", "Brian's Song" or "Charlie" as tragedies. Most tragedies don't fit into the pattern of the protagonist ending up a monster.

The Hero's Journey can be a tragedy too--"Omega Man"/"I am Legend", "Troy", "300", "Knowing", "The Fountain", etc. There are certainly tragic elements to the Anti-Hero's Journey. Certainly "Othello" falls into that category.

In the end of the Anti-Hero Journey, the monster is born. Often with celebration. Anakin becomes Darth Vader. Rosemary's Baby, The Omen, etc. Where the "Hero's Journey" concludes at the end of the movie, the "Anti-Hero's Journey" often begins.

Tragedy is a plot element.

No, tragedy is simply a plot. An entire story is a tragedy, and is defined by a downfall set in motion by a fatal flaw in the main character. Just because you try to redefine classic terminology doesn't make you more correct.

The Hero's Journey and Anti-Hero's Journey are story motifs.

A motif is a theme or repeated idea. Again, your grasp of widely accepted terminology is shaky. The Hero's Journey is a form of plot, defined by specific elements and way-stations, and is not a motif.

Most tragedies don't fit into the pattern of the protagonist ending up a monster.

All tragedy ends with the protagonist becoming monstrous, either actually or symbolically, because they have crossed a boundary and broken social norms. That's what tragedy is. Attempting to re-brand a classic product with a new name doesn't make it new.

Back