Los Angeles Art House Film Festival Is A Scam!

Hi Guys,

I really, really want to warn everyone about this festival. I know a few members have posted about it on here mentioning they entered through Withoutabox.

Please help me get them removed from WAB as they have still got them listed and are still allowing filmmakers to get ripped off even though I have warned them of the scammers.

The entry fee is between $34-55 USD. I unfortunately paid $55 and am demanding a refund from WAB as they have a responsibility to filmmakers to research these festivals before allowing them to post on their site.

http://laartfilmfest.com/Home.html

If your outraged like I am that we have to put up with this kind of BS when we are struggling enough to make our films them write to Withoutbox support and demand they remove this festival and refund all filmmakers.

Thanks
Alice

It was a good time, Steve. Always a reminder that seeing indie films in a theater setting is really what it's all about while the home viewing experience is it's own beast, but each have their own advantages. The theater was very cramped and the seats were way uncomfortable.

I agree about the webmaster and website gripe. Just someone maintaining a blog would have been useful.

It happened, people were there, mostly other filmmakers, cast and crew, but it happened, despite the poster here who claimed it was a fraud. Good group of people, good films, lots of fun. They even had one of those backdrops for photos which I thought was funny and a bit much, but it will be a riot to see the pics on their site.

And then we went back to Steve's and watched another independent film that made us cry with tears of laughter. :lol::(

Thanks again for the delicious dinner spread, Zen!

Last edited:
So I managed to get into block three Sunday night. Missed block two
because of work ("Zombies & Assholes" !!!!). My girl came with me
and they quickly allowed me to use the ticket I bought in advance for
Block 2 for Block 3 - nice of them.

Nothing really caught my attention but all films were worth seeing.
Very few people - so I suspect they did not make as much money as
Weather_Girl figured. We talked with a woman after the screening
about the difficulties of putting together a film festival. She indicated
they lost a lot of money and we spoke about the poor website.

So this was in no way a "scam". They did what they said there were
going to do. I admire them for their first attempt. I hope they do
another one.

I admire them for their first attempt. I hope they do
another one.

They just did. Was at it. :cool:

Their website still looks like ass, though.

Saw the block with Strange Fruit music video (great animation), and Underbelly Blues - a hilarious crime-comedy. Oh, and the dude who wrote a screenplay called Rated R, that's currently being shot, talked about it.

Block #1 was leaving as I arrived... looked like a lot of peeps. Block #2 was jam-packed; standing room only left. Probably mostly cast & producers of Underbelly, but still... a much larger draw than last time.

The playbill refers to the event as the second season for the film fest... it's definitely not an annual event, since it's only been 6 months since the last one. Maybe that effects the prestige of the fest... maybe not. At any rate, I got to see some quality flicks that you're not going to catch at the local AMC and that counts for more. :tongue:

Back