Anyone here into slasher movies?

Has anyone heard about the new horror movie FRIDAY THE 31st? In New York State, two young filmmakers the Greffrath brothers are fighting to complete their debut horror movie in the fall of 2015. FRIDAY THE 31st is every bit as much an homage to the late 70s/early 80s slasher genre as that title suggests. It comes steeped in references to Halloween, F13 and A Nightmare on Elm Street, but it doesn’t play like a mere pastiche. Check out the trailer on its Kickstarter fund site: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/591803910/friday-the-31st-short-film: it has a John Carpenter-esque tension to it and a back-story mythology of its own. Looks cool.

"Anybody here into slasher movies?"

Only if they're done well.

From looking at the kickstarter trailer I can already see a couple of things that make this film potentially not very effective. The trailer could still be a test video, though, and none of this footage will end up in the final product. And if that's the case, then the cinematography is better than some, but the shot design is weak, and the editing a tad rough.

But if these are the shot choices and the atmosphere that they're trying to build in the final project, I would try to carefully reconsider the current storyboards they have and really work out just what makes a slasher film good, and what makes one awkward and unintentionally hilarious. Cause right now, Jack is more goofy than he is intimidating. And it really wouldn't take a lot to conceptualize a few things that could make him truly "piss-your-pants" freaky, and improve on the overall mood of the piece.

Title is like one of those god awful b-flicks that grandmas accidentally by for their grandchildren because they thought it was the legitimate movie instead.

Title is like one of those god awful b-flicks that grandmas accidentally by for their grandchildren because they thought it was the legitimate movie instead.

Agreed.
Just because one wants to be mistaken or associated with a cult-classic franchise doesn't mean one should outright imitate the name by only making a typo on the last part.

Pumpkin Jack and Jack Pumpkinhead are obviously taken already. And Saturday the 14th is a real actual film. You also can't call it "Jack the Pumpkin Killer," not just because I'm not sure if that's copy-written or not, but because it's also too close to Jack the Giant Killer, which is already a knock-off of Jack the Giant Slayer.

I suppose at that rate the best alternate title I can suggest would be "Pumpkin Face:" which sounds funny, but even the most hilarious names can be turned into something that curdles your blood. It's all about execution.

But don't get me wrong.
I wish these folks the best with their project. They seem to have a handle on a lot of their aspects more than others that I've seen. But horror films, especially Zombie and Slasher films (movies where at least 6 main characters get killed) are a dime a dozen. And projects like this really need to step up their game and do something unexpected or fresh, or at least well, if they want to be recognized for all of their hard efforts.

$20,000 for a short film? That's quite a lot of money for a short slasher. I was thinking about pledging for a DVD because I thought the trailer was really well done and a lot of the shots looked great, but I see that it's $50 (Yes, fifty dollars) to get the DVD. $50 for a DVD of a short film??? They're shooting in 6K off the RED Dragon... at least offer a blu-ray for $50.

Also, to the OP, I'm sure you're involved with the project so you should just admit it that you're promoting it and not like you've accidentally stumbled upon the project.

I just realized something.
If they weren't lucky enough for last year to have actually had October 31st on a Friday, then either they wouldn't be able to name their film "Friday the 31st," or they would have to make their film take place in 2008. But since a whole lot hasn't really changed cosmetically about US technology or fashion since 2008, that probably wouldn't have made a huge difference. You just wouldn't be able to make pop-culture references to anything that happened after 2008.

Something to think about. lol

Back