Whats a good Filming college.

I want to be the very best in my profession. And to be this I need experience ( which I'm doing right now )
and a good place to learn it. I'm from Oregon so I was thinking what if I were to move to California and go to college UCLA? I heard it was the best school to learn about film. Should I go there or not?

Make sure to give me a detailed reason why or why not I should go there.

There's nothing for you in California, more and more our business is an online and global community, esp for young filmmakers- focus on that.

Oregon has a great indie film community, schools. Why not stay there- I'm sure you'll be happier.

California/Los Angeles isn't for new filmmakers, it'll just eat you and shit you out. I'm 40 and when I go to L.A. , I love renting cars and driving around accomplishing very little. That's what Hollywood is. Renting cars and driving around trying to make people care. Sounds like fun, huh?

A quick search of the forums along with the search tag "Film School" would give you numerous very heated and biased threads.

Have fun.

EDIT: I'll even throw you a bone, here was the most recent 'film school thread'

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=57738

----

Also yea, I'm in no way of telling you about UCLA is worth it or not... but I doubt anyone here is able to give you that information. Only graduated students who continued pursuing a film career can tell you if it's worth the risk or not.

However, I do believe UCLA is a Film Arts Degree, which means you learn theory and psychology of films and the process that goes into making them, you don't actually get trained how to make them. To be trained you'd need to look at technical schools that provide a Film Science Degree.

Last edited:
School-of-Hard-Knocks_136004_Logo.jpg

Get a business degree from nearby college so you can use the degree to earn big bucks to eventually fund your own feature film. With a film school degree, you'll likely most never, ever earn the same big bucks, and you'll never direct a feature film either.

Whatever you do, you need a plan

1) Film school
2) ????
3) Profit

If this is your plan and you don't know what #2 is then you may as well be stealing underpants.

I want to be the very best in my profession.

You failed to do two things.

1). You failed to define how you will know you're at the very best of your profession.

2). You also failed to say what is your chosen profession.

As for #1, you're going to find that you can get to the top of your game, but being the best is very much a subjective thing.

As for #2. If you want to serve coffee or be an Extra, it's going to be different than if you want to be a Colorist, a Boom Operator, a Writer, a Critic or even a Director.

Back