Do you find these shots boring?

Hello.

So in Lord of the Rings as well as The Hobbit you can see all these super wide shots and aerials where there is nothing rly happening but the characters walking.

I was thinking, do you find them boring?My dad and friend of mine told me they find them not very interesting to watch but I personally love them and as I'm filming my short film next month I was thinking of going to a great location capturing such shots since my main character is an archeologist and he is travelling half way through the country.

But I was wondering if the audience is going to find my film kinda boring that way ? I was hoping of subbmiting it to a film festivals and so on.

What is your opinion?

i thought they were great. its jackson way of protraying journey, and presenting midle earth to everyone at the same time.
i did get alot of complaints however, that people were getting bored of just seeing dwarves running around on plains.
its a way of showing dwarves walking and running and chasing each other, which fits the book.

Its the same type of shots they did in the LOTR movies. Heck, one of the rocky saddles almost looked like a re-used location! :lol: Not saying they did reuse a location, just very similar travel montage in the previous films as in this one.

I think its just a trope that folks have seen quite a bit of at this point. Neither good nor bad inherently, but if you happen to use it at a time when everyone is using it ... :D

Landscape shots add to the feel of the film, noontime interesting but without them we don't have a proper feel of the surrounding

They're beautiful shots, and without them, how do you get the sense that these people are travelling? It's like having a road trip movie without showing the car on the road

I love them! And I was disappointed that The Hobbit didn't have as many as I wanted.

That being said, like everything in film, there is a time and place and you need to make sure there is a reason for the shot. Of course it helps if you have amazing landscapes to show off.

I think cutting to well framed wide shots should be used more

Back