Can male nudity hurt a horror movie?

H, just as a general rule in life as as in film most girls/women don't really wanna see a guy's frank and beans.
Just sayin'.

And if said frank and beans are bobbing up and down and bouncing around running across a field as their owner runs for his life from a crazed ax weiling psycho - that ain't helping.
Keep him in his boxers, cause his junk flopping around in his whitey-tighties ain't much better. :no:

(You know, if you made a horror film about a giant penis that squirt "the blob" onto victims which would dissolve them into bloody-milky slush before the T-Rex sized giant penis sucked them back up THAT might be somewhat marketable. Would put THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE to shame.)

Last edited:
Well I want to treat filmmaking like a business and give the public what they want. That's what a lot of horror movies do. I mean even though Seven is a classic, there are more Saw and Hostel movies. And most of the Seven imitators seem more interested in the audience expectations.

Well I want to treat filmmaking like a business ...

Then you have to start thinking like a businessman! How are you going to "give the public what they want" if the public never get the opportunity to see your film? First, you have to manufacture a product which you can sell to a distributor/broadcaster. There might be more Saw and Hostel like movies which have been bought by distributors/broadcasters in the past but if you start planning a Saw like movie now, how long until you have a finished product and will distributors/broadcasters still want to buy a Saw like movie at that point in time?

You need to think like a businessman and figure out what type of product will be marketable (to your potential customers, not the public) and when. Then you need to work out A) How much it will cost to manufacture your product to meet your customers' requirements and B) How much your customers will pay for your product. If you fail to meet your customers' requirements or if A ends up being greater than B, you will never have a business.

G

Well right now I am working on other people's projects so I will have to put it on hold as of the moment. I have been having trouble cutting it quicker, cause either I need more practice at my editing, or I just need to find away around the flaws. But too busy right now. I did learn from the mistakes though.

I saw some excerpts from your first short and think they were absolutely brilliant. You have a touch of comedic genius and my partner and I genuinely laughed out loud.

Don't give up as you have a comedic with which surpasses most Hollywood blockbusters I have seen. This is God-given talent for humour.

I'd love to see a completed version.

I saw some excerpts from your first short and think they were absolutely brilliant. You have a touch of comedic genius and my partner and I genuinely laughed out loud.

Don't give up as you have a comedic with which surpasses most Hollywood blockbusters I have seen. This is God-given talent for humour.

I'd love to see a completed version.

Okay thanks I think, but this sounds bad, cause I didn't shoot anything that was intended to be a comedy.

Like it's been said, if you want to sell your film, avoid male nudity generally, and certainly full frontal and the like. Really, the only audience interested in explicit male nudity would be a gay/bi/etc male audience. Who do you think Playgirl's primary audience is?

From Wikipedia:

Target markets

The magazine is mainly marketed to heterosexual women. Despite this, in 2003, Playgirl's then-editor-in-chief Michele Zipp admitted the magazine also attracted much gay readership. "It's 'Entertainment for Women' because there's no other magazine out there that caters to women in the way we do", she said. But she went on adding: "We love our gay readers as well, and the gay readership [of the magazine] is about 30%."[6]

Also, in 2003, Mark Graff, President of Trans Digital Media, the brand management firm for Playgirl TV, stated that 50% of Playgirl's readership are gay men.[7]

In a February 2010 interview with the Associated Press, Playgirl spokesman Daniel Nardico stated that he considers the magazine appealing to both men and women, although the audience is predominantly male.[8]

As for what females like, if you want nudity that appeals to them and that won't elicit violent reactions from their boyfriends or husbands, check out the typical cover of the romance novel. Shirtless men in tight blue jeans or something similar. That's what women like, apparently. For that matter, look at the Twilight films. They're pretty much the moving pictures incarnation of the typical romance novel's cover. That's what they like.

So, picture this: your crazed psycho killer is chasing your male victim who is not nude, but only semi-nude being shirtless and with buff muscles (but not too buff) and wearing stylishly tight denim jeans containing tin muffin...well, you get the idea.

Last edited:
lmao... DO YOU REALLY THINK ONLY STRAIGHT MALE WATCH FILMS? If so... give up film making cuz... I dont know... you have no idea how many FEMALE and GAY men is watching films as well.. shocking and surprising huh? I hope you were sitting reading this lol :)

The question isn't how many of them are watching films, the question is "Is a guys junk flopping in the wind appealing for them?"

As a woman (but definitely NOT claiming to represent the views of all women!), I don't think a naked man running is terribly appealing.

But I think that a nude love scene broken by a violent killing COULD be sexy and appealing.

I'm just a man and I've only visited New Jersey once
Ha! Nice!

Maybe interesting rather than appealing is more what I meant.
:)

I'm a sucker for things that change in the middle....leading the viewer down one path, then changing mid-stream.

I'm not a big fan of horror movies, but I do like ones that play with the genre, and play with viewers' assumptions about what the formula suggests should come next.

For example - horror convention says pre-marital sex yields death, often the first death of the series. So I'd like to see a set-up where it's a married couple having sex that leads to the first killing.

And then play with the "last girl" standard conclusion.

But hey, it's just me....and I'm not your target audience.

Could be worse.

Could be a killing that turns into a love scene.
The permutations could be anywhere from amusing to revolting.

Back