Google+ required for YouTube???

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
Happy Boxing Day!

I disabled my Google+ account a year ago, and suddenly discovered it was turned back on a couple of weeks ago so I disabled it again.

Suddenly my YouTube videos were all set to private. The message indicated I couldn't make them public unless I reactivated my Google+ account.

Anyone else run into this or know of a workaround? I like YouTube for the universality but I don't really want to be discoverable on Google+.

Hmm interesting. I have a youtube account and they pester me occasionally to link it to a Google+ but never force me. I tried it when they first asked but that changed my youtube name to my real name, which I didn't like so I disabled my Google+. They ask me to create a Google+ to use with outube but again, not required.

I have a similar but different problem if that makes sense!! haha

I set up a youtube account years ago with my business email address and have used it a lot for corporate work etc.

Then about a year ago I set up a throwaway Gmail account, it was an account i was going to use for signing up to film sites etc... somehow it has linked it to my youtube account with my company email... however the gmail account i set up ... youtube is using that email as my primary email! and i cant find a way to change my primary email.

Only thing i can find is to delete my gmail account but thats seems as though it will delete my youtube account now too....

i know it all sounds very confusing

Yeah, I don't know what's going on, and, like you, I don't appreciate it. For me, at least, I never signed up for a Google+ thing with my real ID etc, so discoverability not a problem so far, I think. Hope you are able to sort it out. I guess it's Google trying to give Facebook an elbow?

Just put no details on you Google+ and simply leave it alone. I only use Google+ as its the best free group video chat.

Absolution films that sounds like an interesting mess. I'm sure there's a way somewhere to 'unlink' the two accounts

Back