• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 3D Spaceship for Super AI Design

Great place, and I'm happy I found it. Thank you!

https://youtu.be/scPSP_U858k
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC:

The link I posted above is a tutorial for adding textures in Blender. Admittedly, it's not "easy" at first, but hang in there and put in an hour or two of study time, and you will be surprised how easy it gets. I'm not even great at it by any means, but I've been teaching myself Blender for the last few years, and it's been rewarding to say the least. Also, the same guy who did this tutorial has a lot of other good ones that cover various things, mostly photorealistic modeling. Hope that helps.

Thank you Kailborg for the tutorial. However, it doesn't help in creating a texture that is supposed to be a texture as reflective as a crystal or a precious gem. Standard flat colors, I can do. As WalterB pointed out, my attempt when the resolution got shot down to 720p ending up looking like it was made out of sugar. I am thinking that is why metallic colors and jewels are so hard for illustrators to do for print media. I may have to go with the wooden model and customize it to get something with convincing crystal technology for a ship design, if cg can't work.

HitFilm can do flat colors as well. I do need to spend more time with all of the 3D software I am getting. That goes without saying. I figured out how to manually import new textures into Blender. So, I see progress in that area of it. Hoping to have some time this coming weekend to spend more time with the software.

Thanks for you help and welcome to IndieTalk. There are many good people here willing to help members on this Forum.

I just contacted a studio model maker, asking for help and gave him a budget. I also asked if my budget is too low, if he can recommend someone who can work within my budget to get an original spaceship built to shoot in front of greenscreen. That's another option I am looking into. It doesn't hurt to ask. He makes some of his models with a 3D printer.

Last edited:
A good miniature will age better if done well. Just look at Star Wars episode 1 to 3.
The ships still looks great.
Plus if you indeed build a miniature interior you'll get a more coherent look.
(The set I'd test first with a simple version to see you can make it work technically.)

As for textures:
texturemapping is more than just adding 1 layer.
You need colormapping, but also a map for reflections, for luminance, for subtle 3D-texture and for transparancy. And that is indeed not easy. At least not to me.
Just being able to adjust color on the shading is not really a texture.
None of your replies suggest you tried to convert the textures in Photoshop and assign them one by one by hand. (That would be the most cost effective way if it works. The miniature the most real looking. The free method would be reshooting your old miniature.)

Last edited:
BTW,
if you want a 'crystal ship', why not look for a big amethist or something?
In 'spiritual shops' they often have all kind of crystals.
And than somehow add some elements?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Améthystre_sceptre2.jpg

It will surely look more organic this way than adding crystals to a model, because the crystal will be the core of the design instead of an addition.

Sometimes a spaceship doesn't really have to look like a spaceship.
In this video I used a USB-wifi-dongle as a spaceship.
I took a picture of it, cut it lose, put another logo on it in Photoshop and added the light effects in AE (nothing fancy: just a few layers with different blur and opacity on top of each other).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fz_-xxw1Xc

Here are photos of crystal sculptures. From these photos, you can see how much harder it is to replicate crystals over flat colors.

https://www.etsy.com/market/crystal_figurines

I'm not so sure about that... you still don't have me convinced. Here are some crystals modeled in Blender:
crystal-model-kit-6-types-3d-model-low-poly-obj-fbx-stl-blend-dae-mtl.jpg

Crystals are actually one of the easier things to model in Blender. There's actually a "glass" shader built in that doesn't even require you use a UV map.... you really just add a new material and select "glass". There's more to it that that if you want a photo-realistic looking crystal, but like I said if you devote some time to learning the basics, it's not hard. No offense, but it seems like you're overlooking some of the most basic principles of Blender, and they're things that you could actually use/utilize.

Thanks guys. I have a lot to consider.

I am compiling a list of custom model builders with hopes of finding someone affordable and good to build the model for me, since I have next to no time with my very demanding day job and coming back from vaction I am avalanched with crisises that need immediate attention. I don't see more vacation time until June.

Last edited:
Back