Went with the Nikon D5200...after week of research!

I posted a few days ago regarding what camera I should get with my $800.00 budget. After a week of research, I went with the D5200. I paid $775.00 on eBay that included an 18-55mm VR AF-S lens. That deal was cheaper than Amazon body only ($796), Adorama, Beach Camera and 17th St Photo. I chose it over the Canon T5i, Nikon D3200 & D7100 and over the Panasonic GH3. In all honesty, I didn't research any Sony's or other brands because these brands are for the most part the undisputed leaders in DSLR video based on my initial readings.

I read thru all kinds of review sites and watched tons of videos on YouTube, both of reviews and test shots. Its worth noting that dpreview.com was the most helpful overall and eoshd.com had a D5200 review soley on the video aspects of the camera that made my choice easy.

Features that were important to me were:

DSLR - I want lens flexibility over a camcorder, period.
HD - 1080p @ 24fps
Slow Motion - 720p @ 60fps
Time Lapse - Intervelometer

Features that grew on me after reading were:

The hinged swivel screen - The practical flexibility here while shooting is something to really think about
Stereo Mic with gain control - Yes DSLR audio blows but at least this mic is a step up from unusable
Latest fastest processor
Latest best sensor

The D5200 had the features which were most important to me as far as video. None of the higher priced models like the D7100 or the GH3 offered much of anything I personally considered critical based on my above list. After reading many reviews, it sounds like the D5200 pretty much dominates all the low light comparisons. This was important because I'm not in a position to drop a grip on lighting equipment yet. Also shooting at night is completely possible which keeps my creative options open. All of the very techy image quality & color quality talk was above me, but basically the reviews said that this camera is better than all of the higher end Nikons hands down. I learned about Moire, and after seeing pictures of it, I knew instantly that I'd seen it before. The D5200 outperformed virtually all cameras including the GH3 in this department when it came to Moire, sharpness and color.

Please note that this review was based on the research that I did coming from a position of unbiased inexperience when it comes to DSLRs. I'm sure some will swear by their cameras and much of what I said will be up for debate. But basically the neutral reviews of what I watched and read led me to the D5200.

Finally, a note on lenses. I learned prime lenses are the way to go. Oh and lenses are $&@/ing expensive but CRITICAL to study up on because it may influence your camera body purchase. I learned that kit lenses are shit and not even worth buying...but I will say I got mine because it came with the body and that package was STILL cheaper than the best body-only deal I could find.

The lenses I now want are:

Tokina 11-16mm ~ 600 - Awesome wide angle shots that look awesome on screen
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ~ $300 - Will be my goto 50mm equivalent (On Full-Frame Cameras)

Finally, if I can give one piece of buying advice it's this: it's easy to get caught up in more features and start justifying more expensive cameras. You say to yourself, "Yeah, I might want to be able to do that in the future." STOP, just chill, start with an actual project in mind that you might want to do and start with that. It keeps you grounded...which gets especially true when it comes to lenses.

At this point, I'm stoked on my purchase. Ask me any questions you've got!

The D5200 should work just fine with any manual focus lenses that use the nikon F-mount... that opens you up to a lot of options via ebay for around (and below) $100.

Yes, for high quality new glass you'll spend quite a lot, but there's no reason you can't build up a decent kit of primes from old still photo lenses by leveraging ebay. Honestly, some of the old nikkor glass is really pretty nice IMHO.

For example, here's an f2.8 28mm vivitar that would work fine for you and be just slightly wider than the sigma you're looking at.. for what about 1/8th the price? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Vivita...83547290?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43ba02b09a

While it's a slower lens, f2.8 is still plenty fast for most scenarios, unless you're shooting in the dark.. ;)

Last edited:
...there's no reason you can't build up a decent kit of primes from old still photo lenses by leveraging ebay. Honestly, some of the old nikkor glass is really pretty nice IMHO.

Yeah, I've got some serious learning to do when it comes to all the compatibility of lenses. As you said the D5200 is an F Mount, so I wonder what the possibilities are. I really like the idea of buying a "bunch" of old primes...just have to learn what is compatible. The D5200 doesn't have a mechanical auto-focus drive motor, it relies on lenses that have their own. Which i think is fine because it sounded like AF has a long ways to go before its really usable in video.

Should I be looking at old Nikon F mount glass with manual focus to start?

Any comments on the supposed "new and improved" auto focus system?

Don't use it for filmmaking?

The AF System isn't "new", just new for the D5200. Nikon pulled the 39point AF system and the 2016 pixel metering system from the D7000. Its in the mail, I'll test it all when it comes. But yeah, from what I've read, using the AF systems (on any camera) for video is a futile effort.

If there is a scene where you need to pull focus, how do you guys do it?

Same way the "pros" do... with a follow focus system. And if your actors are good at hitting their marks, you can pre-measure and mark the various focus stops on the follow focus ring.

This is the follow focus that's coming with my newly ordered rig. Previous one is just fine, but since the new kit included one I figured there was no point in excluding it from the kit.

Great choice. I personally chose to go with Sony when they first released their a57 camera. I got it for around $650 with their also brand new 18-135. It's got the benefit of having both 60 and 24ps in 1080 and their auto focus system is actually quite nice if I'm feeling lazy.

Lenses were my main issue only because the used market was slim and even renting is tough but one of the first things I bought was a tamron 17-55 2.8 (highly recommended) and some primes that require an adapter.

As of now I own a sigma 10-20 ($450), 50mm 1.4 ($60), a couple other primes that are obsolete because of my tamron, and the 18-135 if there is enough light to use it at 100mm+ although it doesn't get used that much.

Be sure to research used lenses thoroughly as mentioned before. And if you need to use an adapter make sure it has no glass inside it as that will impact quality.

Back